Suspected TC lock-up clutch problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My '99 LC has 270K miles on it. Recently it's started to stutter under load ... going uphill for eg. I think it's the TC lock-up clutch slipping. Here's why:
- only happens over 45 mph after the tranny is locked
- when it happens, if I ride the break, the tranny unlocks and the stutter goes away
- not as relevant but only happens when the engine is up to operating temp, does not happen when cold.
Am I on the right track here and if so, anyone know how long these clutches last? The rest of the tranny is pretty solid. It's an annoyance but otherwise I can live with it. Assuming I've diagnosed this right, my plan is to ignore it. Bad idea?

By the way, 270k miles and I haven't had to search out a LC forum till now. This car has been amazing!

I wouldn't ignore it. I'd fix it before it takes something else out with it. (Such as the whole trans vs. just a new/used TC.)

any idea how many miles we are getting on these transmissions? The reason I was thinking ignore the slipping TC lock-up clutch is 1) I wouldn't think it slipping would harm the transmission and 2) when I do have to replace the tc clutch, at 270k would I just go ahead a replace the tranny anyway. But if this transmission is good for another 100k+, idk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom