Super Glow - explained (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That is how the sysytem is supposed to work. If you leave the key on and wait you will here two clicks of relays. The first is the 24 volts kicking off and the seconde when the whole system shuts off. If you start right away after the seconde click you timer will "re-glow"at low voltage for a while before turning off again. Hypothetically if you were to leave the key on for a really long time and the system clicked off, but had a warm enough engine to start without glow, you will see that the system would give you the after glow again for a bit, after the engine starts. After about 20 to 30 seconds (ish gussing here never really looked it up or timed it) the after glow will stop. If you real curious you can connect a multi meter to the glow plug bar and watch the voltages change during the start and you'll see when and where everything happens.

Looking back on previous post, I was having some trouble a few years ago, if you don't use Toyota or NGK glow plugs the timer doesn't seem to work right. Or let me rephrase, if you use VSP 14 volt plugs the timer doesn't work right and stays on all the time and you cook the plugs.

@Bandit_guy thanks so much for the reply. That makes sense, I was hoping it was the case that it's normal.

When I first got the truck last summer, a previous owner had put 23V plugs in. I eventually learned about the Superglow system and swapped them for some 14V Bosch plugs (part# 0250202076, equivalent to Toyota 19850-68060). They work well, seemingly as designed, and haven't burned up yet! Every part lookup site I've used has steered me wrong, so this thread and the one by lostmarbles have been my best resources.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom