Sunroof weather stripping replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Part of 63201-60081 sunroof glass.
The item#2 in the pars drawing clearly shows it as separate, why we cannot find replacement of just the weatherstripping?

5451adb6632b9656b843d20f97c6cceb.png

My sunroof rattle a lot. It it was greatly reduced when I put around 3 layers of gorilla tape around the perimeter of the seals. Many people got same problem with other toyota and lexus model but they able to replace just the seals.

I am afraid to spend $700 for replacement glass assembly if it did not really fix the problem. Anybody got ideas how to get replacement weatherstripping?

I just dug through all the parts diagrams I could find for US and Global spec GX470s and Prado 120s, and it definitely looks like there was never a part number issued for this sunroof seal. Which is odd, because the seal for most other models is available.

I wonder if there is compatibility with another seal that has a part number?

I just dug through all the parts diagrams I could find for US and Global spec GX470s and Prado 120s, and it definitely looks like there was never a part number issued for this sunroof seal. Which is odd, because the seal for most other models is available.

I wonder if there is compatibility with another seal that has a part number?
Thanks for confirming my suspicion.
I was really surprised and annoyed. Just for weatherstripping it would cost $600-700 because it only comes as complete replacement glass. The biggest concern is I am not sure this is the only issue.

Cheapest I found is $520 plus tax and shipping. 63201-60081 - Glass Assembly - 2003-2009 Lexus GX470 | DiscMonster - https://www.discountpartsmonster.com/oem-parts/lexus-glass-assembly-6320160081?origin=pla&gclid=CjwKCAjwtJ2FBhAuEiwAIKu19hPfQJ-_vbJ7dX8RuQkYbwb0-wp9EmM5kFED3LgqVP7cZKqQpmSOYhoCxj4QAvD_BwE

I think we need to make a group effort to find a suitable replacement. I have the same problem and was going to try the bike inner tube fix, but would rather replace the seal. There are tons of seals on eBay for various Toyota and Lexus sedans, one of them has to fit these 120 platforms (why would Toyota make different kinds of sunroof seals when they use the same parts for decades?). I emailed one seller to try and get an idea; if that does not work I may try and buy a few with free returns and see if I can get lucky.

Or, if someone has a friendly relationship with a Toyota dealer with a lot of these in stock, maybe they could visit and figure out which one works.

I think we need to make a group effort to find a suitable replacement. I have the same problem and was going to try the bike inner tube fix, but would rather replace the seal. There are tons of seals on eBay for various Toyota and Lexus sedans, one of them has to fit these 120 platforms (why would Toyota make different kinds of sunroof seals when they use the same parts for decades?). I emailed one seller to try and get an idea; if that does not work I may try and buy a few with free returns and see if I can get lucky.

Or, if someone has a friendly relationship with a Toyota dealer with a lot of these in stock, maybe they could visit and figure out which one works.

An easy way, if one had a spare sunroof glass available, would be to carefully cut off the old seal and then physically compare it to the available seals they could find in stock at a local dealer. I'm sure there is some cross compatibility with SOMETHING.

So I called the parts guys at my local Toyota dealer and chatted about this a bit. For the GX470 and Prado 120 (same sunroof glass) the seal is listed as "not available due to installation difficulty" and Toyota literally has no capability to list/stock it in their parts system as an individual part. Now that doesn't mean the shape/cross section of the seal doesn't match that of another seal, but as far as the parts system is concerned we're out of luck.

Someone with access to a used GX sunroof glass could do the GX world a huge favor by cutting a small cross section of the seal so we can measure it...... 😎

Option... 2? 3? I forgot where we are now.

Find a universal sunroof seal product that would work with the GX glass. It would take some trial and error, but could be worth the effort and cost.

And for those with rattles/leaks, who don't want to use their sunroof, I have ran across tons of options to seal it shut with some flat rubber strip products with 3M adhesive on the bottom. Seal it shut, pull the fuse, and go on with life.

Either way, search "sunroof seal" on Amazon and eBay and there are tons of universal products.

Option... 2? 3? I forgot where we are now.

Find a universal sunroof seal product that would work with the GX glass. It would take some trial and error, but could be worth the effort and cost.

And for those with rattles/leaks, who don't want to use their sunroof, I have ran across tons of options to seal it shut with some flat rubber strip products with 3M adhesive on the bottom. Seal it shut, pull the fuse, and go on with life.

Either way, search "sunroof seal" on Amazon and eBay and there are tons of universal products.
I saw the universal seals too, but don't think they'll work. I've massaged mine a few times (to temporarily reduce the noise), it's a bit of an odd duck (C-channel to hook into the glass, then a D-shaped channel to seal against the sheet metal, with a gap between the two). Another option I saw is to apply a coat of liquid electrical tape to the outside of the seal to build it up - although putting a slice of bike tube between the C and D would seemingly be cleaner.

If no one digs up a solution I'll roll the dice on a seal for a ES350 early next week and eat the return shipping if it does not fit. The roofs/seals look pretty similar to my GX.

Last edited:
I saw the universal seals too, but don't think they'll work. I've massaged mine a few times (to temporarily reduce the noise), it's a bit of an odd duck (C-channel to hook into the glass, then a D-shaped channel to seal against the sheet metal, with a gap between the two). Another option I saw is to apply a coat of liquid electrical tape to the outside of the seal to build it up - although putting a slice of bike tube between the C and D would seemingly be cleaner.

If no one digs anything I'm I'll roll the dice on a seal for a ES350 early next week and eat the return shipping if it does not fit. The roofs/seals look pretty similar to my GX.

I'm sure you've seen this, but I just learned from searching: Toyota and Lexus both call this a "Weatherstrip" and often refers to the sunroof as the "Sliding Roof Panel". So for those searching, "sunroof seal" may not pull up all the Toyota parts.

I also just saw that the 5th Gen 4runner, GX460, LX570, Prado 150, and even Scion xB share 63251-12190 for their sunroof seal. There has to be some cross compatibility, somewhere, for the 470...

Just saw your edit...
Our glass is definitely a little more square-ish than the ES one you posted, but the ES and GS share a seal back to 2002 with PN 63251-30100 so it's worth a shot. Worst case you can cut out extra seal and glue the ends together.

After some thinking, I decided to try to patch up the old seal. We're taking the GX to CO/UT in a few weeks and I don't want to chance messing up the seal before that.

So I tried the bike inner tube trick. I cut a ~3/8" wide strip from an old 700x35 tube and put it in the sunroof seal (between the C and D). The result is an ~75% reduction in wind noise and rattling. However, I may redo this with adhesive as the strip popped out a few times.
20210523_120328.jpg
20210523_115105.jpg

20210523_115312.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom