Sunroof problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi, Many thanks for your observation and suggestions.
I clear what ever was visible to eye by plucking or vacuum it out and also applied Lithium white grease to the visible areas of the cable. Before, whenever, I used to UnTilt the sunroof, it tried to go down and then backed off to Fully Tilted position.

Now, the sunroof goes down and does not back up. But it does not fully UnTilt to close position. It stops about half and inch up. I believe because of this, the slide Open and Close function still does not work..

Any suggestion, how to proceed. I couldnt find any debris in the areas which are visible to eye.

@baghloli123 Clean out all of that debris from the tracks. I tape a small piece of 1/4"dia tubing to the end of my shopvac to get in these rails a lot. Even just using some type of pick, flathead, or end of a zip tie would work. Sunroofs are designed to open back up when they sense an obstruction so it won't catch a body part in them.

View attachment 2513039

View attachment 2513040

View attachment 2513041

did you check all the linkages, slots, cams etc to make sure it's all straight and properly aligned?
and squirt penetrating oil in the cable recesses etc that are out of sight?

Any suggestion, how to proceed. I couldnt find any debris in the areas which are visible to eye.
I'm afraid it won't be easy to fix it. I finished repairing the sunroof on my 100. It turned out that one of the metal tubes through which plastic cables pass was rusty. The rust effectively blocks the plastic cable from sliding.
The only solution was to replace the metal tube with a new one, because there was a grater inside (walls damaged by rust). In addition, the plastic cable had to be replaced because it was damaged (worn out) during removal from the tube.
Why am I writing about this? Because I can see the same color you have on the plastic cables.
Compare the color of a healthy (left) cable and a rusty (right) cable.
IMG_20200702_185655.jpg

IMG_20200702_185701.jpg

Below what the metal tubes look like - guides.
IMG_20200828_165604.jpg

If you don't want to disassemble whole sunroof and the engine works as it would, but stops after a while, you can try to disassemble only the mechanism. It is connected together with the control computer. After disassembling it, you can connect the cables directly to the engine and set the sunroof in the desired position.
Of course, it's best to disassemble the mechanizm first, unscrew the computer and mount the engine itself. Below is what it looks like
IMG_20201117_163226.jpg

if the actuating cables are no longer moving properly, is there a way to disconnect them from the glass frame mechanism so you can at least move the mechanism by hand and close the thing up until the summer, maybe with some tape to hold it shut?

Thanks. I am able to close the sunroof. it slides open and close now with some difficulty. I can tell, that it struggle to open and close. which is probably due to the rust in the cable system. I can imagine that its only a matter of time when it completely stop functioning.
I am going to keep it as it is and will not try to open the sunroof again.

I'm afraid it won't be easy to fix it. I finished repairing the sunroof on my 100. It turned out that one of the metal tubes through which plastic cables pass was rusty. The rust effectively blocks the plastic cable from sliding.
The only solution was to replace the metal tube with a new one, because there was a grater inside (walls damaged by rust). In addition, the plastic cable had to be replaced because it was damaged (worn out) during removal from the tube.
Why am I writing about this? Because I can see the same color you have on the plastic cables.
Compare the color of a healthy (left) cable and a rusty (right) cable.
View attachment 2517439

View attachment 2517441
Below what the metal tubes look like - guides.
View attachment 2517442

If you don't want to disassemble whole sunroof and the engine works as it would, but stops after a while, you can try to disassemble only the mechanism. It is connected together with the control computer. After disassembling it, you can connect the cables directly to the engine and set the sunroof in the desired position.
Of course, it's best to disassemble the mechanizm first, unscrew the computer and mount the engine itself. Below is what it looks like
View attachment 2517443

if the actuating cables are no longer moving properly, is there a way to disconnect them from the glass frame mechanism so you can at least move the mechanism by hand and close the thing up until the summer, maybe with some tape to hold it shut?
It's hard to say, but you should know that the plastic cables are blocked by the motorized mechanism and the glass frame is blocked by this. Carriage which moves the glass frame is permanently attached to the plastic cables and as far as I know is not possible to disconnect it.
Please see below, unfortunately I don't have a better picture.
IMG_20200702_191144.jpg

You can also try moving the carriage forward and backward after removing the mechanism and glass frame. Additionally, you will know if one or two sides are damaged.

well if it's not possible to disconnect them at the sunroof, how about at the motor? You can perhaps yank them harder by hand from the top than to push them with the motor.

well if it's not possible to disconnect them at the sunroof, how about at the motor? You can perhaps yank them harder by hand from the top than to push them with the motor.
Of course you can remove the motor (mechanism), which I wrote about above. It's relatively easy to do, just unscrew two screws and pull down. On the rear side there is a latch plate that needs to be folded back.
IMG_20200617_173552.jpg

^ thank you, but I mean disconnect the cables from the motor so they are loose and can be moved to enable motion of the glass frame by hand to close it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom