Subject 1968 defrost vent inserts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
While gently folding down the windshield frame so as not to damage the underlying rubber strip, I noticed plastic inserts (rotted) in the oval portion of the windshield frame. Trying to remove them proved to be less than successful and they crumbled into a pile of nothing.
So, I reckon I'll need to make some out of fiberglass unless someone has a better idea. I haven't seen them on the usual suspects websites.......that or I can't see.

IMG_5595.JPG

Is the rubber gasket OK ? You could use foam to seal up defrost air flow.

Nope......the rubber strip will need replacing. Once I tried to pull it up to clean the painted area under it..........It broke into several pieces, to brittle after 51 years.
As one of the FJ40 loyalists point out they are available. Not cheap, but available.

Yes, foam is a good option for around the vents. Depends if I want to goof with doing a layup with glass and resin.
Thank you

I did mine and did not see anything there. Can you give approximate thickness,material etc..

I'm going to double check to make sure I'm not having a senior moment. The thickness was very thin and crumbled when touched....
that is unless I'm touched and made this up. I'll look today to see if any bits remain so as to prove or disprove.

On a side note, I refinished the fuel tank and happen to come across some perfect pads to replace the factory type pads the tank sits on.
Home Depot in the table/chair leg section. Perfect thickness with a sticky back.

O.K sooo I'm not crazy.....maybe a little. Since I didn't remove all from around the vents there was some left. Very thin and proof there was inserts. My guess is it was meant to help keep water out as the insert goes into the windshield frame about 1/4 inch. That's all I have. As for the felt. I'll take pix later but it is about 1/8th in thick maybe less and 2"x3" plus or minus. I'm not in the shop now.
Here is pix of what remains of the inserts on windshield frame.
I find some off things on this one. It is a '68 and there are old style parts and new style. '68 appears to be a rather odd crossover.
It is as stock as I've come across in many years for an older model. Does any of my comments make me right?....ahhh no.

Last edited:
and you're sure it's not just the lip from the rubber strip? the later gaskets had a raised lip that our early models didn't have

I'm not ever sure what planet I'm on half the time, so there is that. Here is a picture of the rubber strip that was removed, it is the old style. Later I'll measure and see the difference between the rubber strip and the vent oblong holes. It does appear that there is an area around each opening on the windshield frame that "may" look as though inserts did exist from the factory? See the area around the perimeter of the oblong holes on the rubber strip? I'm just throwing this stuff out there as any and all opinions are greatly welcomed, good or not.

Last edited:
You can definitely see that what was there was NOT the main gasket. You can see the old adhesive and the markings from where the seal was.

I'm not ever sure what planet I'm on half the time, so there is that. Here is a picture of the rubber strip that was removed, it is the old style.

View attachment 1905362

that's the later style. the 63-ish and earlier used just flat rubber with no cutouts or ribs or lips. just a thick flat chunk of rubber

When I removed the strip on my 67 there was an extra piece glued to the thick strip around the defrost holes. Parts were desinegrated to dust but there was still some parts there. I’ll see if I can get a pic.

Seemed like added rubber to help seal the defrost and did not seem PO added.

When I removed the strip on my 67 there was an extra piece glued to the thick strip around the defrost holes. Parts were desinegrated to dust but there was still some parts there. I’ll see if I can get a pic.

Seemed like added rubber to help seal the defrost and did not seem PO added.

you can see in the op's pic that the lip was glued to the cowl seal also.

that's the later style. the 63-ish and earlier used just flat rubber with no cutouts or ribs or lips. just a thick flat chunk of rubber
Thank you nukelemon for the clarification. I'm still on a learning curve and look for all the intel that can be presented to educate me.

I'm not indicating the felt pads are 100 percent correct but will do nicely. The original pads were more narrow. I won't cut these if there is no interference with fitment of the tank. I'm a ways off from setting the tank as i am finishing up the floors. They were unpleasant at best. The pads were placed to show future location.

IMG_5609.JPG

IMG_5610.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom