Studs or studless? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We were just gifted a slightly used set of studded Hankook iPikes on 16" steeliness for Shanna's RAV4. They fit great but are LOUD. I'm considering prying the studs out and just running them as winter tires. Before I do, I thought I'd ask for anyone's experience with this. Are the studs able to be put back in later? How much is a "stud gun"? Do de-studded tires work as well as true studless tires? Or am I better off selling them now as a set? 225/70/R16 on 5on4.5 black steels. Thanks.

From my time at Sears I learned that studs aren't really suited to Colorado winters. If we had snow and ice that stayed on the ground throughout the winter and that was the only surface you drive on then the studs would be beneficial. On pavement the tread doesn't fully contact the road surface because the tires "skate" on the studs. That's why Blizzak's are so popular in Colorado. They can't be studded. The tire itself will work fine without the studs if you decide to have them pulled.

From my (bad) experience.

Are the studs able to be put back in later? Yes, but you don't want to and no reputable shop will do it.
How much is a "stud gun"? You don't want to go the route of doing yourself.
Do de-studded tires work as well as true studless tires? Yes, you can buy tires that have a set of stud holes and never put studs in and they work as good as any other tire with the same tread pattern.
Or am I better off selling them now as a set? Yes, pulling studs can be a bear and hard on the hands. See if you can trade them.

Studs work great on ice, snow and dirt. they tear up dry roads (that is why there is a "Season" for them.
Don't buy Blizzacks for Colorado Springs. The rubber is super soft (that is why they work so great in the ice) and when you are driving around on those nice 45 degree days in December and January you burn off the soft rubber and when you need them for the February ice they work just like any other snow tire. Blizzacks are good for Leadville or Minnesota where you keep ice and snow on the ground for a long time, say, that is same place that your studded tires shine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom