Stubby antenna mod/hackery (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Parts needed:
m6x1.0 nylon locking nuts x2
m6x1.0 by 100mm threaded rod
one Metra 17" replacement mast wwrm17 with adaptors
the top sleeve of your old antenna with the retaining ring nut.
Take that top sleeve as indicated by the red circle and put the threaded rod through the middle with the a nylon lock nut on each end. Leave enough threaded rod at the top to attach the antenna mast.
the lower nylon lock nut won't fit down the hole but it needs some massaging with a grinder or file.

Only tested the reception with the vehicle in the basement and seems to work well. You could use this with any antenna mast that has a m6x1.0 threading. Which is likely all of the metra stuff.

total cost... 22USD.

Aerial-Cable-Cord-for-Toyota-Land-Cruiser.jpg

20201211_160533.jpg

20201211_160546.jpg

20201211_160754.jpg

20201211_160859.jpg

the lower nylon lock nut won't fit down the hole but it needs some massaging with a grinder or file.

View attachment 2522025
I had to read through this a couple of times to get it, but I think I figured it out. The pic I quoted above is the nylon lock nut massaged to fit down the hole, correct?

I need a new antenna so this is a great option. I'd rather have a fixed one than one that goes up and down. Thanks for sharing.

yeah basically i will be doing this again on a sequoia later today and can take pictures once it is apart. in short the little 10mm nylon lock nuts both are used on each end of the 100mm threaded rod that runs down the middle of that little tube that you pull out of your automatic antenna. That tube is oly special because it has that black plastic lip that is caught by the outer threaded ring that holds everything in. the threaded rod and nuts is what you are using to create a solid attachment to that tube and also have enough at the top to screw that after market antenna directly to the threaded rod. that nut that goes down the hole in the fender is a little too large on the nut shoulders so once you get it all put together that part that goes down in the fender will need to be rounded off. that Picture where you see the grind marks is a demonstration of that. the hardware needed comes out to about 3 dollars at the hardware store. the rest is antenna costs. Now i just need to cut the power to the antenna to stop the motor from spinning up and down.

Reactions: CPC
Nice job! I'll be doing this soon too as my antenna has started to get stuck while retracting. I'll probably go the route that @categorytheory took in the 80s forum

Well i should have known my idea wasn't the first! my 80 antenna still works great so I won't be changing it, but these methods should work on any automatic antenna that is similarly setup by toyota

Sequoia done the same way but no need to grind the nut down. The antenna replacement mast from Amazon failed to extend after a couple of days so this fixed one is the replacement. Since the initial slave with the plastic flange is longer than the land cruiser one i trimmed the down with a tube cutter.

20201212_153459.jpg

20201212_153658.jpg

20201212_153942.jpg

20201212_154000.jpg

20201212_154114.jpg

Reactions: CPC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom