Strength of 2nd generation Sequoia 4wd suspension and drivetrain (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dnp

Supporting Vendor
SILVER Star
Threads
I've had a few 1st generation 4wd Sequoias, and they've been remarkably capable off-road.....to the point that, other than having a couple of limitations due to their longer wheelbase, they seemed to be as capable as my 100 series Land Cruisers.

So, my questions are: (a) how robust is the 4wd drivetrain behind the much stronger 3UR, and (b) what are the limitations - if any - on the 4 wheel independent suspension off-road? I've never used an IRS off-road, so I'm looking for opinions.

Thanks.

A) The 3UR is awesome on its own and I haven't heard of other shortcomings with the trans/tcase.

B)The front setup is basically the Tundra IFS but in back there's a 10in ring gear steel cased clamshell diff which is really stout looking. Big CVs as well. Scrounging early 2nd gen builds show some promise of 11-12in of travel.

2nd Gen Locker/Diff Info

Looking at similar rigs the 2nd gen Sequoia is about as close to the international spec Y62 Patrol as we can get since the US Armada/QX got smaller diffs. If aftermarket support improves then 2nd gen builds will be a big thing.

There have been a couple builds on 37s and 1 that actually looked like it was wheeled so hopefully others can chime in. Our Sequoia was kept stock for gravel/paved trips but the cavernous space and big power were tempting for a bigger build, the East Coast is just more mid size friendly so I chickened out.

Also shhhh... the fauxverlanders haven't screwed up this market yet!

Purchased a 2012 4wd platinum for my wife a few months ago. Put it on a lift for a pre purchase inspection and was surprised by how beefy everything was. The driveshaft looked bigger around than a softball.

I was rust-proofing the frame of wife's Sequoia on day and noticed that the fully boxed frame looks sturdier than the one in my Tundra, thanks to Tundra's C-channels in back. Mechanically, Sequoia's drivetrain is very well built.

Tundra has been notoriously good in ice and snow. I expect roughly the same performance from Sequoia. The only thing is Tundra's body sits higher above the frame, so it is easier to dig it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom