Stream/Riverside Camping Locations? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’m messing around. I should bring the land cruiser. That way I won’t be able to get to the speed limit. Haha

Well. A planned camping trip went fair. Just north of Winston-Salem, a single site on a Shire horse farm. The horses were friendly, letting you pet them as they came to water at the creek right beside where we camped. The weather!! Like every place, warm and humid. We made the best of the three day’s. Didn’t do much as that was our plan.
soooo!!! As we return home and the Misses talks to her daughter today, she is informed of what happen on the land we were camping on in 1929. The previous owner killed his wife and all but one child in the house on Christmas Day. Washed his hands in the creek before killing himself. Look up Lawson murders in stokes county.

Looks like the days I am planning to be out there are going to have lots of rain. I might use that as an excuse to not go so I can work on my truck in the garage. We will see.

Well. A planned camping trip went fair. Just north of Winston-Salem, a single site on a Shire horse farm. The horses were friendly, letting you pet them as they came to water at the creek right beside where we camped. The weather!! Like every place, warm and humid. We made the best of the three day’s. Didn’t do much as that was our plan.
soooo!!! As we return home and the Misses talks to her daughter today, she is informed of what happen on the land we were camping on in 1929. The previous owner killed his wife and all but one child in the house on Christmas Day. Washed his hands in the creek before killing himself. Look up Lawson murders in stokes county.

I grew up 15 minutes from there in a sleepy Stokes County town called Pinnacle, just at the base of Pilot Mountain. Very familiar with this story... we used to ride around the area at night. The legends were all kinds of messed up back then, pre-internet. Legend was the murderer was "Edward Payne" and you could drive down Payne Rd and turn your car off on the bridge and either:
a. The car wouldn't restart until you pushed it off the bridge
b. Mysterious forces would push your car off the bridge and leave children's handprints in the dust on your car

The road is now paved and the bridge doesn't exist. Took my wife to the area a few years ago and found this out as well as the Payne house was no longer to be found. This blog post explains it pretty well:

I'll say this much - I'm not one that spooks much and don't believe in ghosts, but that was a creepy area. One boring Saturday night we drove the road around 1 or 2 am. We stopped and walked around the old dilapidated Payne farmhouse and then proceeded through the front door. There was graffiti everywhere. It was in bad shape, dark, and pretty spooky and none of us opted to go to the second floor. We all piled in the car, and as driving away I looked back and to my horror, saw a man in dark pants and a white t-shirt looking down from the second story porch/balcony. I alerted the others in the car and we all screamed and high-tailed it out of there. Obviously, this was likely some vagrant that was squatting, but at the time as a ~14y/o kid, I nearly soiled myself. Either way, glad we didn't go upstairs and cross paths with this person.

Good times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom