Storm Kettle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This could go into the 'What's in your truck' thread but it probably deserves its own post.

The Storm Kettle is made in England and boils up to 2.5 pints of water in minutes with only a sheet of newspaper and a handful of twigs. I'm not associated with the company in any way - just an enthusiastic user of the product for many years.

I know many people rely on Gas cookers and will probably ask what's the point? Well, it's much much quicker at boiling water for a hot drink and is a useful standby should run out of gas. The web address for the company is:

http://www.eydonkettle.co.uk/index.htm

I believe they ship worldwide. If you have $60 to spend and are looking to buy yourself a Christmas present you won't be disappointed.

Cheers, Jim

we have had a similar product here since about 1995 called the aussie bush kettle, comes in a little wooden box with tea, coffee, sugar, and 2 cups, boils really quick with a minimum of twigs, sticks, newspaper, bark dry leaves etc.

Very good to carry on a day run, or easya ccess for quick cuppa on the road.

:flipoff2:
Vacuum%20Flask.jpg

:cheers: - Got it for my 18 Birthday from my Parents. :slap:

Those on this side of the pond can buy them at Lee Valley Tools - a mail order shop. While you're at it, you can salivate over their high quality tools.

Cheers, Hugh

Hugh

Are you talking about thermos flasks? I was under the impression that thse can be bought anywhere.. Or are you talking about storm kettles?

the storm kettle looks cool, only problem with it is it doesnt fit in the "approved" stoves during the fire restrictions in the mountains, which has been the last four or five years the entire summer.
i usually go the thermos route, and if im up there awhile have a coleman backpacking stove that i use a stovetop espresso maker for coffee :D

for the really spoiled ones, check out cabelas they have a coffee cup you plug into your cigarette lighter to keep it hot. bunch of pansies

on a side note, the nissan thermos is as far as ive found the best money spent on keeping coffee hot. I dont have their thermos, but i have a $25 dollar 14 oz. coffee cup with a large bottom and it keeps coffee hot for two hours, im sure the thermos is much longer time.

I knew you Brits were a little obsessed with your girly tea every few hours but that's going a little overboard doncha think?

:D

-B-

Partial but related thread hijack - bush coffee maker

A few years ago my wife and I came up with a great bush coffee making system.

We found a med/wide mouthed stainless steel thermos (Thermos brand but look around but perhaps you can find a better one).
Then found an old plastic drip filter from melita
In order to adapt the 2, we sawed the bottom off of a skippy peanut butter jar (med size).

The filter sits nicely on the adapter which fits snugly onto the unbreakable thermos.

The coffee drips straight into thermos/carafe which is nothing stellar BUT try to find an unbreakable carafe that a filter will sit on. We couldn't.

Only issue is that stainless steel thermos's don't keep hot liquids all that hot when half empty. Preheating of course helps.

:cheers:

[quote author=Jonathan_Ferguson link=board=14;threadid=6153;start=msg49432#msg49432 date=1065785825]
Why not take a Vacuum Flask. ??? ::)
[/quote]

A flask is fine, but you still have to heat the water at least once a day to start with... :slap:

Especially when travelling.

[quote author=Jim_Phillips link=board=14;threadid=6153;start=msg49477#msg49477 date=1065793948]
Hugh

Are you talking about thermos flasks? I was under the impression that thse can be bought anywhere.. Or are you talking about storm kettles?
[/quote]

Yes, the storm kettles ('Kelly Kettle' as they call them) US$47

Cheers, Hugh

[quote author=the shed guy link=board=14;threadid=6153;start=msg50092#msg50092 date=1066000717]
A flask is fine, but you still have to heat the water at least once a day to start with... :slap:

Especially when travelling.
[/quote]

our boy Jonathan_Ferguson doesn't like camping you see, so it's never a problem with him ::)

A guy i know ran a small water pump for one of his onboard water tanks, which pumped water through copper pipe running next to his exaust headers (around them if i recall correctly) and used it as a shower, don't know if it'd be hot enough for your coffee.

[quote author=Jim_Phillips link=board=14;threadid=6153;start=msg49429#msg49429 date=1065780592]
This could go into the 'What's in your truck' thread but it probably deserves its own post.

The Storm Kettle is made in England and boils up to 2.5 pints of water in minutes with only a sheet of newspaper and a handful of twigs. I'm not associated with the company in any way - just an enthusiastic user of the product for many years.

I know many people rely on Gas cookers and will probably ask what's the point? Well, it's much much quicker at boiling water for a hot drink and is a useful standby should run out of gas. The web address for the company is:

http://www.eydonkettle.co.uk/index.htm

I believe they ship worldwide. If you have $60 to spend and are looking to buy yourself a Christmas present you won't be disappointed.

Cheers, Jim
[/quote]

Do I have to wet it and tie it to the rear view mirror? :flipoff2: ;)

They also sell those Storm Kettles in the Garrett Wade catalogue. They come in 2 sizes, don't remember the prices. This is a really neat catalogue if you like to drool over really nice high end woodworking tools. They also have some other nifty stuff besides the kettles like NATO jerry cans, NATO lanterns, etc.

In looking at the storm kettle's design, I can't see how it could outdo a typical backpacking stove such as the Whisperlite International I've used for 17 years. I'll guarantee I can boil water faster as I'm using what amounts to pressurized gas and I can blow a hole in an empty pan with it. Takes about 3 mins from the pouch to lit and heating water, but newer models take perhaps 1 minute (butane types).

On the other hand, the downside is that you have to wait for it to cool before stowing it, which may/may not be the case with the storm kettle. On the up side, I can boil water for just myself, or put a larger pot on for a group, plus it would certainly be useful in starting a roaring fire under difficult conditions (cold/windy/wet).

And as stated, I can use it when there are backcountry restrictions due to fire danger. It puts out zero sparks, which would be a danger if burning newspaper or twigs.

Doug

Ah, that would heat fast. I'll not likely run out of gas though, since this model can burn anything from diesel fuel to gasoline to white gas. Nice that you can use anything laying about, though...

DougM

the one thing a camping stove doesnt have the storm kettle, aussie bush kettle, econokettle etc do have....?

The smell of burning gum leaves, and wood, a holiday in the bush isnt complete without that smell around :D

I hear ya....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom