Stolen part (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Huh. I would have thought you’d be allowed to shoot porch pirates in cedar. :poof:

Funny how these days the bleeding hearts might give you hell for cussing them out too bad and hurting their feelings even though they are stealing your s***.

The further I am away from downtown the better.

It's not the shooting, it's the cleanup. None of my neighbours have pigs. :hillbilly:

So far the only issues I've had with my porch are the bible thumpers. Had one actually put their foot in my door a couple months ago after I managed to be reasonably polite in telling them to sell their crazy somewhere else....went from reasonably polite to "get the **** off my property" in about .5 seconds when she did that. Couldn't ****in believe it.

Must be low on their quotas to fund a new jet for the pope or something.

Well, had an interesting turn of events. DHL has sent me a picture of the package at 'a' front door. Turns out it's not MY front door. So this has all been their F-up and they are admitting that now. However they're making ME put in a claim with the shipper (Milner Offroad) who in turn has put put in a claim to DHL. In theory I'll get some sort of refund from Milner at some point. Best case scenario the person who actually got my alternator drops it off at my house some day, and I end up with a free alternator, haha. Doubt that'll happen though, as I imagine it would have been done already.

Of course I've already put in an order for another alternator which should be delivered to my work Wednesday or Thursday.

So as fun as it was blaming the poor homeless guys coming down my street; it wasn't them this time. That said this whole experience has been an eye opener, and I'll be smarter next time. That and put up a camera etc.

Huh. I would have thought you’d be allowed to shoot porch pirates in cedar. :poof:

Funny how these days the bleeding hearts might give you hell for cussing them out too bad and hurting their feelings even though they are stealing your s***.

I unfortunately not by choice work in a lot of shelter buildings. One in particular the police call The Thunder Dome (844 Johnson) has mountains of stolen s*** hauled away every month. They fill a parkade stall every month with stolen bike parts. Here’s some stolen house strong boxes with chisel marks I seen last week.
View attachment 2080251

That green rental bike company must suffer a lot this is one week of stolen vandaled bikes. A guy from the company comes every week to pick up the pieces.
View attachment 2080247

Also found these ID’s
View attachment 2080248
This building just opened a free pharmacy where they administer free opioids to people like methadone.

The further I am away from downtown the better.

That's just crazy Steve. I really don't t know where this is all going, but I am happy I'm not downtown (I live at Swan Lake in Saanich). Funny how those strong boxes are targeted. I keep telling my wife if our house ever gets broken into, her little strong box will be the first thing gone. Better to hide stuff in a wall/floor/attic or something if you have to. Or a dusty old cardboard box full of newspaper, photos and silverfish.

Last edited:
Well, had an interesting turn of events. DHL has sent me a picture of the package at 'a' front door. Turns out it's not MY front door. So this has all been their F-up and they are admitting that now. However they're making ME put in a claim with the shipper (Milner Offroad) who in turn has put put in a claim to DHL. In theory I'll get some sort of refund from Milner at some point. Best case scenario the person who actually got my alternator drops it off at my house some day, and I end up with a free alternator, haha. Doubt that'll happen though, as I imagine it would have been done already.

Of course I've already put in an order for another alternator which should be delivered to my work Wednesday or Thursday.

So as fun as it was blaming the poor homeless guys coming down my street; it wasn't them this time. That said this whole experience has been an eye opener, and I'll be smarter next time. That and put up a camera etc.

That's just crazy Steve. I really don't t know where this is all going, but I am happy I'm not downtown (I live at Swan Lake in Saanich). Funny how those strong boxes are targeted. I keep telling my wife if our house ever gets broken into, her little strong box will be the first thing gone. Better to hide stuff in a wall/floor/attic or something if you have to. Or a dusty old cardboard box full of newspaper, photos and silverfish.

Well at least it sounds like you won't get totally hosed on the lost part.

Any chance you can figure out which front door that is? Time for a little "street view" creeping looking for doors.? :lol:

Well at least it sounds like you won't get totally hosed on the lost part.

Any chance you can figure out which front door that is? Time for a little "street view" creeping looking for doors.? :lol:

Tried the street view thing already. :hillbilly: Went up and down my whole street and a couple adjacent ones, but could not find a match. So thinking Mr. DHL was WAY off on this one. Picture doesn't give much to work with either. Attached is what I got.

Attachments

• POD_6856820176.pdf
    22.4 KB · Views: 182
Well, Milner got back to me quick and are co-operating too. I've gotta say they are a great company. Normally I would not order from the UK, but it was the best option for a new alternator.

Oh, and I did get my second alternator yesterday at work. Will try to find time to install this weekend....

Well that's good at least. The exchange rate is kindof the hidden bonus of another country's self immolation... (won't be renewing that passport ever again )

I was thinking about the missing parcel, how we were all blaming homeless meth heads and thieves, but whoever's door that got dropped off at isn't exactly rushing to contact you.
Considering your name and address are probably all over that box.

Well that's good at least. The exchange rate is kindof the hidden bonus of another country's self immolation... (won't be renewing that passport ever again )

Yeah, between no Brexit deal and Trump's twin the UK is getting a lot more affordable. In fact I've been drooling all over the 'affordable' diesel 100's they have for sale there. Looks like even with shipping/duty/taxes a person could get a nice clean diesel 100 for less than $20k CAD. Same thing from mainland Europe or Japan would be closer to $30-35k CAD (as we've seen reflected in the pricing of the few that have come up for sale in Vancouver lately).

I was thinking about the missing parcel, how we were all blaming homeless meth heads and thieves, but whoever's door that got dropped off at isn't exactly rushing to contact you.
Considering your name and address are probably all over that box.

I was having exactly the same thoughts; made me feel bad in a way. Even if the person who actually got the parcel did not want to deliver to my house they could at least have called DHL and had them get it. That phone number's probably on the package too....

6E6761AC-B2ED-4D9A-87A9-7C0D12587796.gif

Ah, DHL...

I’ve also had “delivered” packages from DHL never arrive.
I know they have a partner (loomis) iirc, that actually do the delivery’s here in the city.

Never ever ever (and I do mean never) allow a NO SIGNATURE DELIVERY from DHL/Loomis.

My “delivered” but missing from my porch package was “found”... and I actually received it 3 days later.

The part was an FJ55 steering column from a wrecker in Oregon. Little did I know that they (the wrecker) deals with a local Toyota dealer regularly and have access to lots of Toyota parts packaging.

So, once I saw my “missing but confirmed delivered package” that had been opened and unwrapped, then poorly rewrapped, it all became obvious.

Big new looking Toyota branded parts box from an Oregon dealer, reused and containing an old greasy straight takeout from the wrecker was waaaaay too tempting for the delivery driver.

After days of repeated phone calls and complaints from local to head office, it miraculously appears!!! I would guess word got out that dirty old unknown parts weren’t worth loosing your driving job over.

Radio silence from DHL/Loomis after that, no explanation, no apology, no refund on shipping... no nothing!

Not just crack heads and porch pirates... lots of douche bags have real 9-5 jobs too.

Hold for pick up is inconvenient, but I get my parts every time. It sucks, but that seems to be the world we live in now.

The hobos and crack heads cop it for a reason, you’ll get it wrong 1 in a 100 if that’s your first guess. I have no sympathy for someone else’s poor choices. Not if it’s going missing from my hard earned paycheque.

Cheers
Crusty

Yes, I've definitely learned my lesson out of this experience, and sounds like I'm not the only one who has had problems. Won't allow any courier to drop off without a signature again! I did receive my second alternator from the UK on Thursday. Had it delivered to my work this time. Installed it today and am already enjoying the 70A upgrade and lack of strange start-up/bearing noises from the vacuum pump. Had the wrong plug on the back, so swapped the regulator from my original onto the new one. Works perfectly.

All the pieces fell into place yesterday/today regarding my lost alternator. Got a call from DHL. They had actually put in a decent effort investigating what happened. They looked at the GPS coordinates of the driver and figured out the parcel was dropped off at one of my neighbors down the street (722 house address instead of 772 - mine).

This has happened before with regular mail, but that neighbor always lets me know right away. So I had assumed he would have let me know had he received it. In fact the first thing I did on Friday when my alternator was lost was drive down to his house. His car was home with no package at the door, so I assumed he had not received it. Well, turns out he is in the UK on vacation, and his son was the only one home. The son had just put the package aside without looking at it assuming it was for his dad. I got ahold of the dad via email last night and he gave me his son's phone number. Gave him a text and got the package this morning. So now I have two brand new alternators. Will have to put the second one up for sale to re-coup some costs I guess; or maybe keep as a spare.

Lesson learned. Sorry to waste all your guy's time.

Never a waste if there is something to be learned. I think we can all agree that this is good info.

I’m glad you got your parts and I would call this a win!

Sometimes you just need to vent and have a bit of support 👍

I’m glad you shared 😁

Cheers
Crusty

As far as DHL - IMHO for international shipping from Australia and India they are the best. This was my GTurbo from Perth.
No signature on delivery. I tracked it all the way. My suggestion is if you are getting something valuable then keep an eye on it. Personally Purolator should be spelled PuroLATEr. I ship for work within Canada and I’m amazed they are even in business. We are lucky, the local drivers are all contract and familiar with our area. In the city, I’d suggest drop off instruction. In GTS example, you can leave instructions to leave the parcel in the rear storage area, out of sight.
32F5F49A-EA3D-4BED-933D-1E4ECB27B99D.png

Saw one of the box drop-off points this morning that someone mentioned so I thought I'd put a picture... You scan your id or use a onetime code to get your parcel depending on the company... This is one of about 8 companies with these in Sweden...

View attachment 2102854

That’s exactly what Amazon has in major centres.

FYI - GLOBAL NEWS 6 pm Monday Dec 2
Consumer Matters
There will be a story on the new parcel receptacle boxes now being sold.
Apparently 25% of urban BC homes are victims of porch pirates. I’ve seen a few
examples of these new electronic mail boxes and they look very solid.
I would recommend watching this just to see what’s available.
Or just have 250 lbs of Rhodesian Ridgebacks out front, but I’m betting the
electronic boxes won’t crap in the grass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom