Stock Front Brake Lines 101 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
There is a very good thread on extended brake line part numbers ( OEM Extended Brake Lines w/ part numbers ). Not much on the stock lines, but I looked there and several other places for the answer.

I'm doing a front axle service right now and trying to take care of several issues while things are about. I picked up 2 of rubber flex brake hoses that hook up the caliper to the hardline on the front axle (90947-02A16) as I'm stock height and no plans to go anywhere. The current lines look OEM and OK, but 20 years seems like a good life for them and I don't want to do this job again.

Looking at the parts diagrams, I saw where two non-reuseable gaskets are needed on the "banjo" connection onto the caliper. At first I panicked, as the hoses come naked from Toyota with no washers or any other hardware. Digging some more I found that the NAPA calipers come with a hardware bag that contains two right-sized copper washers that I assumed were supplied to rehab this vital connection on the caliper side.

Then I went looking for a diagram that shows how the other end -- the chassis side -- of the hose to the front DS caliper is mounted. I came up with nada in the FSM. Looking at it on the truck, it appears to clip into a metal bracket where it connects to the hardline.

What I need to know is if the hose I have to the caliper connects by just screwing into the hardline? Or does the connection require a metal gasket like the other end's banjo connector? Or is some sealer used on the threads that screw onto the hardline? There's nothing in the FSM that helps. Any other suggestions on R&Ring the brake line would be appreciated.

It connects to the hard line. No washers or sealant. It's a flared end or bubble flare end. Just screw it in.

Ps you my have to file the flares down a bit if the new line does not fit into the hard line. Good luck.

Thanks madisonr34. Just what I needed to know.

^This. It's a standard hydraulic line design. One end is a flared connector, which seals really well. The opposite end has to be a banjo, because once the flared connection is made, you can't spin the hose. All banjos should have two sealing (compression) washers on them, one on each side. And a bucket under them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom