Stock FJC Lift for up to 33s (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, my father-in-law owns a stock 2010 FJC. The suspension is now coming to its end of life and he would like a bit more clearance to allow for larger tires (I am reading this as up to 33s, but no bigger [also reading this as "I am tired of hitting my rear diff!"]). Knowing that he is retired, I know that his budget is smaller than an ICON set up, although I am wondering if an OME set up would end up being almost as expensive as the ICON Stage 1.

Here is what I am asking:
1. Is the OME Light/Medium Lift the way to go for an otherwise stock truck?

2. Will the lift be so stiff that it rides even rougher than stock? (mother-in-law complaints on the FJC.)

3. Will the lift provide enough clearance for 255-85/R16 BFG AT KO2s?

4. Are there other items that need to be purchased with the lift (UCAs? spacers? ect. I have an email out to Cruiser Outfitters now, but have not seen a reply yet.)

5. If UCAs are recommended, does it just make better financial sense to go with the ICON Stage 1 set up, if it is within a couple hundred dollars difference? I am thinking that if the prices end up being fairly similar (knowing that the ICON will be more...), but the ICON set up gives a better ride on and off road, I can probably sell that to him.

Please note that I did search quite a bit, but most threads were leaning towards 35s or had large weight adders, such as bumpers, winches, etc.

Thanks much for your time,

Jonathan

Jonathan what are you plans in the future for the truck? Ome will be just fine to clear those tires. Also if you have any local fjc clubs jump in with some of those guys and see how the set up they are runnning feels. Upper control arms are not necessary but a good upgrade down the road. I don't know how icon suspension feels I ran fox 2.5 and unless you have bumpers and winch it's stiffer than stock for sure. My buddy has ome but has 40k on it so it's pretty soft. I hope this helps.

Sammy -
Thank you for the reply. Yeah, at least this lets me know that the OME option will provide sufficient tire clearance and I am glad to hear that the UCAs are not mandatory for sure! I know ride can be very subjective, but wanted to hear from a few out there that have been running that lift to hear feedback.

He will likely be keeping the truck fairly stock for its life, but likes to overland with it and wants more clearance. I highly doubt we see him out rock crawling with it, but here in Idaho you can sometimes find yourself in those situations without really meaning to too.

We were talking about hitting the Silver City trail this weekend, but I think I scared him a bit when I told him that I would need to guide him through a section since we didn't want him hitting his rear diff like he had on our last outing. (Although secretly I was looking forward to him being on 3 wheels in a few parts to watch his face :eek:)

With regards to local FJ clubs, I am not aware of any. There is a TLCA club, but most of them run 40s, 60s, or 80s with not much show on the FJC front. I think I have seen 1 with them and it was stock.

Sammy -
Thank you for the reply. Yeah, at least this lets me know that the OME option will provide sufficient tire clearance and I am glad to hear that the UCAs are not mandatory for sure! I know ride can be very subjective, but wanted to hear from a few out there that have been running that lift to hear feedback.

He will likely be keeping the truck fairly stock for its life, but likes to overland with it and wants more clearance. I highly doubt we see him out rock crawling with it, but here in Idaho you can sometimes find yourself in those situations without really meaning to too.

We were talking about hitting the Silver City trail this weekend, but I think I scared him a bit when I told him that I would need to guide him through a section since we didn't want him hitting his rear diff like he had on our last outing. (Although secretly I was looking forward to him being on 3 wheels in a few parts to watch his face :eek:)

With regards to local FJ clubs, I am not aware of any. There is a TLCA club, but most of them run 40s, 60s, or 80s with not much show on the FJC front. I think I have seen 1 with them and it was stock.
I would look at fjcruiserforums.
Sammy -

check out Toyota FJ Cruiser Community for local guys in your area. My buddy was in Idaho for a few months so I know what you mean. Good armor and skids and ome/tires and you can go pretty much as far as your comfort level will let you. If he ads more weight down the road he can get stiffer springs to compensate. If I would build my FJ again I would not do fox and go all out but kept it simple with ome.

Looks like you got some good info. You may want to look at Ironman as well as OME. Both solid choices for the price point. You may want to give our FJ Cruiser lift options a read.

UCAs may not be "necessary" but getting your wheel alignment in spec will be easier. That being said I didn't do my UCAs until I went Icon Stage 1. OME/Ironman options will feel stiff if you do not have any extra weight on the truck, but will also handle better on the road - no nose diving under braking and cornering will feel more solid.

As for the tire choice of 255/85s, you won't rub at all because that's a skinny tire. It's the width of the tire more than the overall diameter you'll need to be concerned about if you stick with 33" and under. Wider tires will rub on the front body mount and sometimes against the rear of the wheel well on the front end of the truck. No worries at all in the rear in the 33" and under category.

You should be able to easily price compare on Metal Tech 4x4's website since they sell both Icon and Ironman setups. However, the price difference is likely going to be more like $$$$ instead of $$$. Add in UCA's and you're definitely in the thou$and$

So, my father-in-law owns a stock 2010 FJC. The suspension is now coming to its end of life and he would like a bit more clearance to allow for larger tires (I am reading this as up to 33s, but no bigger [also reading this as "I am tired of hitting my rear diff!"]). Knowing that he is retired, I know that his budget is smaller than an ICON set up, although I am wondering if an OME set up would end up being almost as expensive as the ICON Stage 1.

Here is what I am asking:
1. Is the OME Light/Medium Lift the way to go for an otherwise stock truck?

2. Will the lift be so stiff that it rides even rougher than stock? (mother-in-law complaints on the FJC.)

3. Will the lift provide enough clearance for 255-85/R16 BFG AT KO2s?

4. Are there other items that need to be purchased with the lift (UCAs? spacers? ect. I have an email out to Cruiser Outfitters now, but have not seen a reply yet.)

5. If UCAs are recommended, does it just make better financial sense to go with the ICON Stage 1 set up, if it is within a couple hundred dollars difference? I am thinking that if the prices end up being fairly similar (knowing that the ICON will be more...), but the ICON set up gives a better ride on and off road, I can probably sell that to him.

Please note that I did search quite a bit, but most threads were leaning towards 35s or had large weight adders, such as bumpers, winches, etc.

Thanks much for your time,

Jonathan
Hey Jonathan,

With a 2-3" lift kit you should clear 33" tires just fine, keep on eye on wheel offset.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom