Stink pipes! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

stevebradford

In the shop
Threads
Ok so we about done air filters now and I think we came to some conclusive results, stock NA Toyota systems need upgrading after a decent turbo job.

Stink pipes! I think Toyota realized they were under sized on the 3B in 1985 especially when they started introducing turbo versions.

1984 and earlier the stink pipe was smaller than 5/8 of a inch. Here a typical early 3B
IMG_0210.jpeg

Later 3B’s, 1985 and later, when they started introducing turbo versions of the 3B the stink tube was upgraded to a whopping 7/8 of an inch.
IMG_0208.jpeg

What put this thought into my head was my buddies new cruiser he bought had the turbo so detuned it was almost doing nothing at all. We bumped the boost up to a modest 6psi and it started blowing oil out the rear main, disappointing yeah but not that big a deal, needs a new rear main seal yes.

What keyed me in was this was an early 3B with the smaller stink tube and with 0 to no boost it wasn’t blowing oil. Upping the boost it was hemorrhaging oil out the blown seal. This suggests to me those early smaller tubes restrict venting to the point of pressurizing the block.

I think we all underestimate the amount of slippage of combustion gasses actually escapes the combustion chamber past the rings even on a healthy motor to the block and those turbo Toyota diesels had larger stink pipes for a very good reason.

I wonder if a an added stink pipe from the valve cover would make the other one less of a drippy mess.

Adding one up there would be easier than ****ing with the side cover. Could do a test with a spare oil cap...

Mine is noticeably more active in the last week. The spot in the garage is definitely growing.

My other turbo 3bs all parked on gravel and kept the weeds down :lol:

I've messed around with my pipe quite a bit over the years. :lol:

Newer (90+?) Toyota diesels feed the crank vent back to the intake (pre-turbo on turbo models). Fills the whole intake with crud; especially when mixed with EGR soot on some models.

First thing I tried was a catch can. What an epic waste of time and effort. Leaked and didn't flow enough. Messed around a bunch and just didn't seem worth the effort.

So then I attached a hose and ran it into the frame, that worked really quite well, but was loosing quite a bit of oil. (this on my original short block which had damaged bores and a lot of blow by)

Next I learned that my valve cover has a ceramic filter that if gummed up allows oil to build up and spray out the crank vent more. I took my valve cover apart, cleaned that filter, and it made quite a difference in oil loss.

I learned on my motor there was a recall where they pushed the pipe from the valve cover further in to help prevent as much oil mist getting out. Newer valve covers already had this improvement. Splurged on a brand new valve cover which improved the problem.

Ultimately, a perfect compression short block I installed made the biggest difference.

One thing I do now is run the hose from the crank vent up as high as I can before going down to the frame. Seems to help as I think some oil drips back down inside with gravity.

None of this really applies to 3Bs.... Or maybe it does. Try using a large ID rubber hose to extend breather up and then back down. Might see less oil loss?

My 12ht was up to the intake, made things pretty gross. I have it just run down to under the drivers seat now. You can definitely tell it's working:lol:

Not a lot of room in a 60 engine bay , but if it went up through some stainless mesh before turning downhill it'd probably catch more.

I think you'd want a long hose after the upturn, just so the oil didn't collect any dust before dribbling back in. Probably why they went simple, and straight overboard.

Funny how the philosophy changes, in 3b days it was who cares, just add more oil haha.

I have a catch can I bought years ago and have never installed. A knockoff of one of the overpriced ones.
I should really adjust the valves on my 3b soon. I'll see if there's a good spot for another vent then. Big flat spot on top might be easiest.

I think you'd want a long hose after the upturn, just so the oil didn't collect any dust before dribbling back in. Probably why they went simple, and straight overboard.

With all the fumes we're pushing I don't think dust stands a chance! :D

1688080373615.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom