Steering pinion alignment (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I needed to replace the PS rack on my 2011 tundra. Supposedly you need to remove the engine to accomplish this task, although possibly easier, you don’t. When I have the time later I can post how it’s done. What I need help in is in order to do this the pinion ( steering gear) has to be removed, having s real hard time installing back into the rack?

Your question is confusing but this is how I do it-

Lightly bolt up the rack up without inserting the steering shaft. Now center the rack and make sure each tie rod is an equal distance from a point on the frame, push/pull the steering gear until both sides measure the same. Then I like to have someone in the truck holding the wheel firmly at 12:00 so it does not move at all (the wheel should stay at 12:00 during the entire procedure) and I will get under the truck, unbolt the rack, drop it down just enough to fit it into the steering shaft and push it back up into position. Make sure you don’t bump the tie rods when re-installing, the rack and the wheel need to be perfectly centered.

Thanks, perhaps a pic would clear the issue,
Trying to reinstall the steering gear, had to remove it to remove/install rack. This is off the old rack but same issue.

79D37CB0-A500-4740-9246-D5BF418E662F.jpeg
4ACB8B0B-2162-4EA0-BF0D-A4A84531C686.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom