Startup Noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been out of town for 4 days. When I went to stratup the FJ for the first time in days I heard a very odd sound coming from the engine. It kind of sounded like my belts squealing but it also sounded metallic. Does anybody know what this could be? Should I not worry about it?

I have been out of town for 4 days. When I went to stratup the FJ for the first time in days I heard a very odd sound coming from the engine. It kind of sounded like my belts squealing but it also sounded metallic. Does anybody know what this could be? Should I not worry about it?

Have you been thru deep water with it? I've left mine for 10 days at a time and it makes no strange squealing noises or any other kind of unusual noise at startup.

DEWFPO

I have not been thru any deep water before I left. I started it up today and I did not hear any noise. Do you think lack of lubrication would damage anything?

Every time you start an engine, there's a short time before the oil pressure kicks in. That's why the oil filter is mounted upside down near the top of the engine. The oil reserves in the filter help kick start the oil pressure. If your filter was replaced with a cheap one that doesn't have an anti-backflow valve, it'll loose its reserve while sitting.

Good to know about the cheap filters!

Squealing will be belt related.
And if the A/C compressor was left on it will be even worse.
I would not think it is oil pressure related. Low oil pressure can cause knocking and valve train noise but I have never heard a cold engine squeal from lack of oil.

Have you looked for fur in the engine compartment? Once I had a cat crawl into the engine compartment on my '68 Bronco and curled up next the warm engine. When I started the engine the next morning I heard the most terrible noise I've ever heard. The poor cat had to be put down. I had to remove the rest of her from the alternator/powersteering, etc. What a horrible day for her! Not too great for me either.

Woodeye

Thanks for all the replies... Well I haven't heard any squeaks since then. Hopefully it will stay that way.

I just found something in the Owners Manual regarding A-TRAC that may explain what you heard:

"You may hear a sound in the engine compartment for a few seconds when the engine is started or just after the vehicle begins to move. This means that the active traction control system is in the self-check mode, but does not indicate a malfunction."