Starter trail with good camping around SF Bay Area (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,

I just picked up a stock silver '06 LX470 and am keen to take it on our first trip. I'm new to off roading so not looking for anything too challenging or that might damage the car. Would love to combine it with a bit of camping too (even better if it's a campsite with basic amenities).

Any suggestions within a few hours drive of the Bay area?

Cheers,
Francis

First, buy this trail guide:

Amazon product ASIN 1934838071
There are tons of moderate trails off of Hwy 4, 108, 50, 88, and over by Donnieville. Go out have fun and let the mods begin.

Yes, buy that, you will not be disappointed. A great starter book; goes from easy to hard and everything in between...

Thanks guys, I ordered it! cme4lyt - you're just across the tunnel from me! If you had to do one easy trail (ideally with a nice hike along the way) for a complete newb in a stock LX470 within a couple of hours drive where would you go? (itching to get out there this weekend!)

Last edited:
I enjoy the Bowman lake area and the pierce creek loop ohv area off highway 80. Those are around 2 hours from the east bay. A YouTube search of these areas will get you an idea of what to expect. No cell service in Bowman lake Area, Pierce creek does have good service.
Also Hollister hills OHV park is great. Not sure about camping these days due to covid. It’s a state park and not rural wheeling/camping like in the National Forest. It has something for all skill levels.

Agree with the above mentioned places.

Hollister Hills is a good spot to day trip and get acquainted with using the rig off-road. After that there is no shortage of places to go though it is the end of the season for the high sierra areas.

Corral Hollow from cabbage patch maintenance station is a nice scenic trail that goes from highway 4 up to above Bear Valley resort. Great views and some cool sight seeing opportunities. I believe the Pacific Crest Trail runs right through that area so hiking to be had as well. I'd avoid going down or up the Bear Valley side of the route simply because it is a little rocky on sections and could cause some rocker damage.

The Gold Lake area between Downieville and Sierraville is great. Gold Lake 4x4 campground is a great stopping point and has a network of trails that range from mild to black diamond.

Lots of fire roads to be explored in the Sierra's as well I would recommend getting a set of forestry service road maps too.

Agree with the above mentioned places.

Hollister Hills is a good spot to day trip and get acquainted with using the rig off-road. After that there is no shortage of places to go though it is the end of the season for the high sierra areas.

Corral Hollow from cabbage patch maintenance station is a nice scenic trail that goes from highway 4 up to above Bear Valley resort. Great views and some cool sight seeing opportunities. I believe the Pacific Crest Trail runs right through that area so hiking to be had as well. I'd avoid going down or up the Bear Valley side of the route simply because it is a little rocky on sections and could cause some rocker damage.

The Gold Lake area between Downieville and Sierraville is great. Gold Lake 4x4 campground is a great stopping point and has a network of trails that range from mild to black diamond.

Lots of fire roads to be explored in the Sierra's as well I would recommend getting a set of forestry service road maps too.

These are all excellent places to explore. I haven’t done the Hwy 4 / Bear Valley Area. Sounds like a fun adventure, will add to my list. I recently, for the first time made it up to the Gold Lake area. Great time exploring the surrounding lakes and trails. It is a little bit longer of a drive and more remote then the Tahoe National Forest areas I’ve explored. Benefit is much less people/crowds at least late in the season. Would like to get back there for another trip before the snow levels get too high.

D79E4C8A-28F1-468F-BF46-BC7EAF46603B.jpeg

0405BD8C-5C0B-4097-849F-4615DC4AA3CE.jpeg

C6BFDF14-AA95-48B6-A5E0-9AACC2CD6361.jpeg

Thanks guys! These are epic recommendations and love the photos.

I did check out Hollister Hills and it was great. Very few people on the trails and I just stuck to the green ones to start, nice way to get comfortable with all the controls. Look forward to going back there.

It turns out we're going to Tahoe (Incline Village) for Thanksgiving and I'd love to hit up some of the trails while I'm there. Still want to take it easy and the rig is still stock so I guess Rubicon's out of question, any other recommendations nearby?

I enjoy the Pierce Creek loop OHV Trail that is off hwy 80 near Cisco grove. It’s A few minutes to the trail head off the Eagle Lake Rd Exit. I started at the Indian Springs campground parking lot area. There are Some YouTube videos posted online to get a feel of the terrain. The stream water crossing can be treacherous depending on the flow from one of the reservoirs in the area so be aware and use good judgment. I passed on it when the flow was heavy.

Signal peak trail and Fordyce 4x4 trails are around this area but are a much higher difficulty, not advisable for stock vehicles.

There is a dirt fire road that leads up to the backside of Signal Peak, it’s generally considered easy but does get snow in the winter. The views from this look out are great.

Also check out All Trails. The website and app detail available trails so you can see what’s in your area.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom