Starter failure poll (1 Viewer)

Did you replace starter?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2009 LC about 165K. I am replacing mine as maintenance next weekend.

No idea why they decided place the starter in the valley? It really turns something that should be a simple job into a full day. You have to tear off the entire top of the motor to get to it. Maybe they put it there so after 10 years you have to vacuum out the mice and rat nests? No idea?

The only thing that would come out of replacing one on the trail would be a nightmare story to tell around the campfire. You and anyone you are with just lost a day. And make sure you have a well stocked tool kit with all sorts of funky ratchet setups to get to a few tricky bolts.
Double post. Delete.

Last edited:
2009 LC about 165K. I am replacing mine as maintenance next weekend.

No idea why they decided place the starter in the valley? It really turns something that should be a simple job into a full day. You have to tear off the entire top of the motor to get to it. Maybe they put it there so after 10 years you have to vacuum out the mice and rat nests? No idea?

The only thing that would come out of replacing one on the trail would be a nightmare story to tell around the campfire. You and anyone you are with just lost a day. And make sure you have a well stocked tool kit with all sorts of funky ratchet setups to get to a few tricky bolts.
It’s on the lower passenger side of the 5.7l motor. See my pictures right above your post. It is under the intake manifold on the 4.7l (100 Series). Ask me how I know! My mechanic says the 4.7l is easier (less hours) to replace than the 5.7 on the LC. He also said the starter is easier on the 5.7l Tundra vs. the 200 because there is more room between the frame and and the motor.

Last edited:
Finally failed at 211K.
The failure that took place was in the YOKE (brushes) area. Solenoid had no problem with it.

I've taken it upon myself to find a replacement brushes holder. Will keep you posted.

This is my holder from the 5.7 2.0KW starter. The other two brushes are on the commutator.
image.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom