Starlink Mobility (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Alright everyone, now that starlink has introduced mobility units (ability to use internet while in motion) looking for suggestions on how/where to mount this thing. Looking for permanent mounting ideas as I intend to use this in motion while out exploring.

I have a 1991 HDJ81 and I've had the unit temporarily mounted on my prinsu rack on the wedge mount that comes with it. The starlink cables routed through one of my rear passenger windows while testing it out.

I am also using the slimline 2000 inverter which help up well on a recent trip to Idaho from SoCal

Questions I am trying to solicit advice on....
  • Where to mount the dish
    • ~22"x24"
    • want to maintain as much roof rack space as possible
  • Where to mount the power supply and wifi
    • the V3 dish did not require a PSU so this is unique to others builds
    • Both are waterproof
  • How/where to route cables
    • Also plan on getting a HAM (KN6SHU) so do have thoughts for running additional cabling for that antenna as well, preferably in same location
  • Make a custom mount?
    • Something that folds would be great for asthetics but couldn't use while at highway speeds
Crazy idea.... thinking about removing my sunroof and using that location with an electrical passthrough (utilizing the interior space for a cubby that holds wifi and PSU but long term want to go the campteq route so this would also be temporary.

Just want some ideas to toss around, because I'm not that creative, and to brag about my dish... :flipoff2:

20220901_175622.jpg

20220901_174549.jpg

20220901_174348.jpg

Last edited:
Alright everyone, now that we've gone public with our mobility units (ability to use internet while in motion)

I'm not in the know.....who has gone public with what exactly? 🤔

I'm not in the know.....who has gone public with what exactly? 🤔

Starlink (Elon Musk's satellite internet provider service) is now selling antennas and routers that can be used while mobile.

Ahhhh, thank you for that context! The OP said "we've gone public", made me think he works for Starlink!

Alright everyone, now that starlink has introduced mobility units (ability to use internet while in motion) looking for suggestions on how/where to mount this thing. Looking for permanent mounting ideas as I intend to use this in motion while out exploring.

I have a 1991 HDJ81 and I've had the unit temporarily mounted on my prinsu rack on the wedge mount that comes with it. The starlink cables routed through one of my rear passenger windows while testing it out.

I am also using the slimline 2000 inverter which help up well on a recent trip to Idaho from SoCal

Questions I am trying to solicit advice on....
  • Where to mount the dish
    • ~22"x24"
    • want to maintain as much roof rack space as possible
  • Where to mount the power supply and wifi
    • the V3 dish did not require a PSU so this is unique to others builds
    • Both are waterproof
  • How/where to route cables
    • Also plan on getting a HAM (KN6SHU) so do have thoughts for running additional cabling for that antenna as well, preferably in same location
  • Make a custom mount?
    • Something that folds would be great for asthetics but couldn't use while at highway speeds
Crazy idea.... thinking about removing my sunroof and using that location with an electrical passthrough (utilizing the interior space for a cubby that holds wifi and PSU but long term want to go the campteq route so this would also be temporary.

Just want some ideas to toss around, because I'm not that creative, and to brag about my dish... :flipoff2:
Braggart! lol
Doesn't Dishy McFlatface sit on a gimble to maintain connectivity? That complicates mount options for sure.
Don't know how you'll rack mount it w/o taking up that space on the rack.
Good luck and keep us updated on how you penetrate the roof if you decide to go that way. Been looking for a decent solution for a long while now. Something better than glands, with full disconnect and water tightness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom