Squeal from rear of FJ-62 under acceleration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.oldenorthstatecruisers.com
I am getting a high pitched squeal from the rear (or what sounds like) of my FJ-62, was wondering if anybody has ever had this problem and if so if they maybe new the fix to it, i can't really figure out what it might be.

more info please

constant noise or not? if not when? any vibrations? any other symtoms?

could be all kinds of things, bearings, brakes, diff, ect . Nothing comes to the top of my head as a common problem.

Ever use the parking brake?

Did you just use it, after not using for a while?

Could just be a brake shoe dragging just enough to create this noise...

it is mainly only under acceleration, and more often going up hill, but i have noticed it on flat surfaces as well. To be honest i very rarely use the parking brake, so i am to wonder what it might be. i was gonna post to see what people might think before i go more into getting it checked out.

Not sure about the noise. Need a lot more info. I would guess pinion first.

You should always use the pking brake. It is what adjusts your rear drums. if it is not used the shoes will not adj and the piviot points on the pking brake system will sieze up. The 62 is not known for awsom stopping. Help it out if you can :flipoff2:

I agree with what others have suggested as first places to look and I must apologize in advance for this....that squeel you hear...the wife forgot to tell ya that she had a 454 big block put in there for you for xmas :D also check for smoke out back :eek:

When my rear pinion when bad on the BJ60 is was more of a low growl than a squeal.

Sorry, if this is a dumb question, but are you sure you're sure it's coming from the back? If you accelerate the engine in park, it doesn't make the noise? After you hear it while driving, have you gone back to check whether either of the rear wheels are warm. When the brakes were sticking on my wife's Volvo last year, you could've fried an egg on the wheel after 15 minutes of driving.

Bill

I am pretty sure it only does it while it is in drive, haven't really heard it while it was in park with a little pressure on the gas. and funny you asked i am pretty sure it is coming from the back, when i first started to hear it i thought it was coming from the front but other passengers have told me as well they are pretty sure it is coming from the rear, i am gonna check a few things (rear drums, diff. levels, pinion bearings and a few others) over the weekend.

The only squeal my 62 has done in the 13 plus years I've had her is the belts up front. When the get enough slack in them...they will start talking to you under load....typically beginning the song at @ 3500 rpm.

[quote author=southerncruiser62 link=board=1;threadid=8869;start=msg76970#msg76970 date=1071694068]
i am pretty sure it is coming from the back, when i first started to hear it i thought it was coming from the front
[/quote]

If you're not completely sure, put it in park and wind it up good (like 2500-3000 rpm). If it's just a loose belt, you'll hear it. It'll save you a lot of nosing under the rearend.

Bill

possible solution #1: if the noise happens only while in gear and gets noticeably louder the faster you go, try greasing the u-joints of the rear drive shaft. both behind the transfer and in front of the rear diff. I had the same problem on my 86 fj60.

solution #2: if the noise is happening while in neutral and goes away when you depress the clutch pedal, it may be the throw-out bearing in the clutch. Had this problem on my 87 fj60.

hope this helps.

My FJ62's rear end started squeeling after I put the 5.3L vortec in it. Turns out I was roasting the tires :D Sorry, couldn't resist. I do hope you find out what the problem is. Mine actually started clunking on me...turns out the u-bolts were starting to come loose.

solution #2: if the noise is happening while in neutral and goes away when you depress the clutch pedal, it may be the throw-out bearing in the clutch. Had this problem on my 87 fj60.

Now cut that out...a 62 with a clutch :doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom