Speedometer and Odometer stopped working - 1989 FJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here are some photos regarding routing under the 62 - the reference of 'left side' of the transmission. Comment on the leaky transfer case, that is scheduled for repair - level is good, just checked it.

Picture 1 - note how it curves to the left of the transfer case - the circled piece is a plastic clip attached to a metal tab - fortunately, that tab has a circle in it, so you can zip tie - since the 30 year old clip is brittle and just disintegrates in your hands...I left it there in HOPES I might find another one day....but I should just clip that off. You can use the arrow as reference on where to START your routing of the cable toward the front of the car - this way, you stay to the right side of the transmission shifter...last picture.

speedo routing 1 (Small).jpg

Picture 2 - continued routing with the note on where the plastic tabs in the middle of the cable, attach to - there is a metal tab where a cable strap was attached, that your speedo attaches to - I had to improvise - but, you can buy these strap cables for 15 to a pack via Amazon or your Toyota dealer for like $2.50 each - its just that THIS ONE was black, and I believe could handle heat better than the 15 pack (green) versions you get on Amazon, which you need one under the dash IF you want to replace the original there. Note, the cable is routing up above the transmission, staying to the left side. It goes out of sight for a moment but you can grab it further up toward the front near the shifter and where this clip is located.
Speedo routing 2 (Small).jpg

Picture 3, and my last picture for routing reference under the vehicle. I'm looking straight up under the transmission, where the speedo cable routes to the RIGHT side of the shifter - and generally stays right of any other cables in the way so it is just over the top of the transmission. The circled area is where that metal tab is, for the plastic clip mid speedo cable - I used a body panel plug, plus a circular tub holding clip to make this work..you could simply use a zip tie I'm sure...
speedo routing 3 (Small).jpg

Lastly, to note once you've routed the cable, free of interruptions above the left side of the transmission and right side of the shifter, you simply go up the bell housing to the tunnel hole the cable came out of, and push the cable (dash connector end) up through the hole - you'll find yourself pushing through, but having to crawl back out from under the vehicle to route the cable under the dash accordingly (as it was routed on its way out, hopefully you make good notes there) - and back under the vehicle to give yourself slack and slowly move the circular plug toward its 'home' on the tunnel hole.

There is a GREAT thread on here referencing how to plug/unplug the cable off the back of the speedometer once you've taken the 32 screws out of the dash (ok, 16..or so..) to get yourself access to the back of the speedometer. Find a small child with dexterity and can follow instructions, to remove the cable, plus pull the new one up to the speedo and plug in...I managed with my female hands and skinny arms pretty well.

The last battle, in the end, is the plug/round grommet. A little silicone spray or rubber care helps, I applied it before routing the cable (it can dry by then...but my theory is it helped...). Then lay under the car comfortably, fiddle fiddle fiddle until you get it in properly, its worth it.

There are some good posts on here that helped me, searching and reading was key. But after you do this, you'll be able to do it again, as I mentioned...in 140k-180k more miles : )

Last edited:
MomoMoto....I'd buy you a beer if I could.....clearly a picture is worth a 1,000 words! Well, I got the job done and it works. The problem is I installed in the same location as the previous owner, assuming it was correct... And now I can see why they replaced it, as it's definitely kinked a bit...so who knows how long mine will last. Debating....do I take it all apart and start over, or wait for it to break then spend the $ on another one.

Attached are pics of what NOT to do....granted a feel a bit like McGyver that it works.

A couple tips:
1. Remove the plastic vent thing (see pic below) which will give your hand a bit more room when fiddling with that rubber donut install behind the gear shift.

2. Attached the speedo cable to the speedometer first, then attach it to the transfer case. I tried the reverse and it was too short, probably because I ran the cable the wrong way too..

correct hook.jpg

hook.jpg

removed vent.jpg

@KansasFJ62 it would be worth seeing if you can wrestle the cables transfer case end over the transmission....to the other side without having to pull it all the way from the dash - not sure if that's possible, but if so, maybe you find a low spot over the transmission (about where that center mount point is for the cable...) then route back again on the left side...its a TIGHT squeeze over the back end of things...but I believe for the cost and time...could save you down the road.

OR...put it on the list of winter 'to-do's' to tackle when your bored...and your garage is warm...

As I do work on my cruiser, I'll start taking better photos and providing posts here - I just did a thermostat housing removal, clean up, and replace (all because the Cold Start Timer sensor went bad, then broke...twice during removal) - not major for some folks, but major for others, and I learned a lot through it. I find this forum to have a lot of dead end posts...where peoples questions are not answered - I realize YES we should always search first, but a good forum helps its brothers and sisters - even if its pointing them to another link, lending a hand beats dead end posts...it's for the sake of keeping great Land Cruisers on the road and in good hands!

Just noticed my speedometer/odometer not working yesterday on my '89 with only 172k miles. @MomoMoto I see you are nearby...guessing that you bought the blue 62 that Marshall S. had briefly? After reading thru this thread I'm taking it to Trollholes to get repaired....I'm just not that mechanical and my patience has grown shorter as I've gotten older! I've also got a hesitation on starting first thing in the morning that Trollholes addressed about a year ago but has returned so going to get both addressed! Thanks for the contribution of such great detail on this thread for those that have the ability and willingness to do themselves.

Thanks so much for the write up! Just noticed the drip under the steering wheel myself and confirmed it's coming from the speedo cable. I'm waiting on the o-ring and oil seal from SOR.
Might be a stupid question, but should I hold off on driving it until replacing the parts? The transmission fluid level is normal. Was planning on heading to Joshua Tree to check out the Geminid meteor shower.
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom