Speed sensor help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, I'm looking for a little help and advice on a project that I'm working on. I've got a 93 4 door sidekick that I've just finished putting a full Toyota drive train in: '07 FJ 4.0 v6 with 6 speed manual, dual gear drive transfer cases and mini truck live axles. All is done and works well but I'm getting an error code from the stock ECM that is looking for a speed sensor input. I have found speed sensors that will go on the transfer case from Inchworm/Marlin but they don't allow for a speedometer cable to be used with them and I want to keep my stock speedo working which needs a cable. From the advice I've gotten from others and the research that I've done on my own I think that the speed sensor that came on FJ80's with cruise control would work. From what I can tell it will mount to my transfer case and has allowances for the speedometer cable to attach on the other side of it. Do any of you Toyota gurus know for sure that this will produce the signal that my '07 FJ ECM is looking for? Do any of you have a used one that you would be willing to part with? Do you know the part number or year range that this part came off of so I could go to Toyota and order one? Any help and/or advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks!

My '91 FJ80 had that exact speed sensor, on the transfer case and the speedo cable was attached to it.

The problem is likely to be, that the FJC ECM is looking for input from all four wheel speed sensors, to run the VSC and the A-Trac. Not sure how it will handle only the single input, but since I've never tried that combo or known anyone who has I can't tell you if it will work or not.

I agree with Lee, it will need 4 inputs to eliminate any error codes.

Something to consider, running the single sensor from the transfer case to the inputs for the wheel sensor. Yet, one would probably need a way to modify the signal to accommodate what the FJC's ECU is looking for.

As I'm sure you are learning, this is the sticking point to doing a SAC on an FJC where state inspections require OBDII diagnostics. Here in NC, any error code will fail annual inspections...

Thanks for the help, I will let you know what I come up with and if it works. Have you looked into the Dakota Digital speed signal unit, it works to re calibrate electronic speedometers and might coax the ECM into thinking that it has all 4 wheel sensors working, just something to think about.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the help, I will let you know what I come up with and if it works. Have you looked into the Dakota Digital speed signal unit, it works to re calibrate electronic speedometers and might coax the ECM into thinking that it has all 4 wheel sensors working, just something to think about.

Thanks again!

Yup, seen them. The problem is the wheel sensors on each corner. Even if one pushes the limits of alignment, it can trigger the sensors and throw a code.

The only solution I've seen are custom/one-off sensor wheels that fit into the new axles...

What RPM's are you running with the 6 speed at 65 mph? I've currently got 5.71 gears with 35's that are soon to change to 37's but at 65 I'm spinning 3k+, I've got a set of used 4.10's but not sure if that would be to high, I do a lot of highway driving and with dual cases one having the 4.7 gear I'm not worried about loosing my low range. Right now I'm only getting about 17 mpg but I'm not sure how much of that is because of the lack of speed sensor and how much is the high rev's at cruising speed. Have anyone here gone away from the stock ECM? Kinda interested in a tunable engine management system, not sure if it's worth it to go with a whole new computer or if a piggyback like the X-1 would get me the tunability I want.

So I've been spending some time looking over the wiring diagrams I've got for my engine (2007 FJ Cruiser) and it looks to me like the individual wheel sensors are only on the automatic transmission trucks, can anyone confirm or deny this? If this is the case it might be as easy as doing away with your skid control ECU (it has two wires running to each wheel sensor and then one wire that ties into the combination meter (dash cluster), and replacing it with a manual dash cluster that has an internal speed sensor. This is where my wiring diagram becomes unclear, from what I can see it looks like there is an internal speed sensor in the dash cluster but I'm not sure if its there on the automatic clusters or only on the manual ones. I have a friend who is a mechanic and works for a dealership that sells Toyota's and he is going to see if he can find some more detailed diagrams of the dash cluster itself. In doing the research for my engine swap I was talking to Allen Philips of APR Racing who makes the X-1 piggyback and he said that these Toyota ECM's look for all the different sensors the first time they get power from the factory and then remember all the sensors they find on that first power up. If that is the case and I don't doubt him, to get rid of the error code after doing a SAS you would need to get either a new ECM that has never been powered or one off a manual that isn't looking for the individual wheel sensors. Either way it seems that it would be possible to get no error codes with no wheel sensors with a little time and creativity, of course this is all based on the premise that the manual models don't have the wheel sensors. Thought this might be of interest, I'll let you all know more as I find more out :0)

PS if anyone wants to see what it takes to put your engine into a sidekick here's my build:
Toyota 4.0 swap into a sidekick

What RPM's are you running with the 6 speed at 65 mph? I've currently got 5.71 gears with 35's that are soon to change to 37's but at 65 I'm spinning 3k+, I've got a set of used 4.10's but not sure if that would be to high, I do a lot of highway driving and with dual cases one having the 4.7 gear I'm not worried about loosing my low range. Right now I'm only getting about 17 mpg but I'm not sure how much of that is because of the lack of speed sensor and how much is the high rev's at cruising speed. Have anyone here gone away from the stock ECM? Kinda interested in a tunable engine management system, not sure if it's worth it to go with a whole new computer or if a piggyback like the X-1 would get me the tunability I want.

Sorry I missed this post and just getting to it now...

I don't regret for a second going with the 4.88's. I'm running about 2100 RPM's at 65 with my set up.

MPG's, I'm lucky to get 13 at highway speeds...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom