SPACE Trailer Long Term Review (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
haven't seen a whole lot of references to SPACE Trailers and even fewer actual owners on mud, so I thought I'd share my experience. We purchased ours back in 2016 when we were rocking a Subaru Outback and needed more room to haul stuff on extended road trips that we like to take. We bought the "LowRider" model since we had the Outback, with the extended tongue, luv handles, and space bars. Here it is shortly after we got it embarking on a month-long road trip around the Western U.S. to bike, hike, camp, and visit friends and family along the way.
991A57E9-9E57-42DD-A3FD-B04FD2C66B71.jpeg

42D90507-0925-4801-8A41-133FDDDCAB1E.jpeg
The trailer served us well on that first road trip and several shorter trips in 2016 before we bought a 2012 Tacoma in 2017. The LowRider model is exactly the same as the HighRider, the axle is just on top of the leaf springs to make it lower. When we got the Taco I flipped it to below the leaf springs to level it out a bit. Super easy conversion.

F37E523C-1E81-4ABA-9099-3988CBF1A07F.jpeg
It holds a ton of stuff and makes organizing really easy. One year on a trek from MT to CA my father in law told me he had some spare tools if I wanted them. Ended up with a table saw, sliding compound miter saw with stand, worm drive circular saw, big drill, and some other stuff. I wouldn’t have been able to get all that home without the trailer and it paid for itself right there.

I said it holds a ton of stuff... not literally though. One time I took the top off and went to get a load of gravel. I didn't really think it through and bought a yard. As soon as the loader dumped the gravel in I realized I may have overdone it for my little trailer. These trailers have a 1,000 lb load capacity. Turns out a yard of gravel is 2,500 to 3,000 lbs. I kept it under 55 mph on the way back home and made it.

The trailer has been on two trips from MT to Moab and back since then. I can tell from a little extra wear on the inside edge of the tires that I bent the axle a tiny bit. It still tracks straight and doesn't worry me too much, but at some point I may replace the axle. Maybe I'll go with a higher rated one at that point.

All in all the SPACE has been great for us. It keeps stuff dry and basically dust free. I drag it over mild to medium offroad trails with ease. Every once in awhile the little tongue stand will bang on a rock and I just don't worry about it. I keep it outside over the winter in northwestern Montana and store our camping stuff in it.

Service from the owners was very personal and courteous when I bought it. Haven't had any issues that I need to go back to them for so I can't speak to the post-sale experience. I did talk directly with one of the owners when I bought it. Nice to have that personal touch. Interestingly, the two owners are the brothers who invented Rollerblades.

Great review, thanks for the info. Was wondering about one of these myself. Got some questions!

With the love handles, is there some kind of structure on the inside of the trailer that reinforces the attachment? I see them as a place to attach ratchet straps or whatnot, but I was suspicious that they can't actually resist much bending if they're just riveted to the sheet metal. But maybe the sheet metal is very thick, too?

Can it tow alright at 65-70mph?

What sort of hit on MPG do you have?

Did you get the 12.5' long neck tongue--did it work out for turning, etc?

On the luv handles, they are bolted to the sheet metal at four locations, four bolts in each mounting point. No internal reinforcement, but the structure makes them plenty stable. I've used them to strap stuff on. I would note that they are too big around for the hooks on most ratchet straps, so you have to run the strap around them. You can also use them to lift the trailer and move it around by hand a little bit if needed.

I have found that the load bars themselves are more convenient for strapping stuff down because you can still open the trailer up if you strap there. With the top off there are tie down points on the floor of the trailer that you can use. I would say I could live without the luv handles tbh.

It tows great at 65 to 70 mph. I've even towed it at 85 or 90 on our 80 mph freeways here in MT with no issues. I have the standard 13" wheels and tires, but I see these days there's an option for 15" wheels and tires. I'd probably go that route just for better clearance and even more confidence at speed.

I get about 19 mpg on the highway without the space and about 17 mpg with it loaded up with camping gear and bikes on top.

I did get the 12.5' long neck. The tongue on it sticks out about 5.5 feet from the front of the trailer. Turning is no problem and the longer tongue makes it easier to back up.

I've owned a Space Trailer since 2016. I had just sold a van, downsized to a Forester, but needed more room for gear and occasional construction hauling. It was the perfect solution, and could stow away vertically on the bumpers for storage. I took it off-road camping, remodeled my house, went on long road trips. I love being able to lock up and leave the trailer at the campsite. It was like having a temporary van.

I am now selling mine (excellent condition-- Sport / camping / off-road / utility trailer for cars - https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/65667090) because I own a truck and need something heavy duty. But if you drive a light vehicle and want something for weekends, Space Trailer is a great value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom