SOR premium carpet kit for FJ60...is it worth it? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
worldseasonings.com
So i just got my 60 back from getting painted. I took everything out of the inside before and I ordered the Sor premium carpet kit while it was getting painted. On the website it looks pretty simple to install everything's pre-cut and it looks solid. However I'm struggling with a big time and I'm starting to wonder if the view is worth the climb and spending $1,300 on this carpet kit.

If any of you have any experience installing it, please share. It seems like it's dimensions are just off. It's doesn't fit right in the back hatch area and it seems a bit long in the back passenger seat area. I haven't even got to the front part yet.

Anyway, I'm wondering if it'd be better to just take it to an upholstery shop and get a custom carpet laid for around the same money and not have to do any of the work. Any feedback is appreciated!

So i just got my 60 back from getting painted. I took everything out of the inside before and I ordered the Sor premium carpet kit while it was getting painted. On the website it looks pretty simple to install everything's pre-cut and it looks solid. However I'm struggling with a big time and I'm starting to wonder if the view is worth the climb and spending $1,300 on this carpet kit.

If any of you have any experience installing it, please share. It seems like it's dimensions are just off. It's doesn't fit right in the back hatch area and it seems a bit long in the back passenger seat area. I haven't even got to the front part yet.

Anyway, I'm wondering if it'd be better to just take it to an upholstery shop and get a custom carpet laid for around the same money and not have to do any of the work. Any feedback is appreciated!
I installed one into my FJ62 three years ago. I really like it. Fits tight and looks really clean. It has as close to an OEM look as I could find online (with the exception of the vinyl trim pieces up front by the shifter assembly). I'm especially happy with how it fits in the cargo area. It took maybe 3 hours to do with my father-in-law who is pretty experienced in full restoration projects and has done 3 or 4 carpet kits into 60 series. We've done a couple bronco carpet kits since then and don't remember the SOR kit being any more difficult than those.

If I'm remembering right, we did some very slight trimming in the second row around the center console. I don't recall any trimming in the cargo area. The most difficult part of the entire carpet install was getting the dead pedal/foot rest back in, which wouldn't be an issue in a 60. I would definitely recommend it as a two person job, we had one person pulling/tightening/placing screwdrivers through the carpet/jute into the bolt holes. The other person was replacing bolts and trim pieces. I bought some 40 oz jute padding rolls and we laid and cut that ourselves prior to the SOR kit going in. What I bought was quite a bit cheaper than the SOR jute.

We also installed the SOR wheel well covers that same day and those were quite a bit trickier than the carpet kit. They took quite a bit of trimming, re-trimming, and near over-trimming. Those turned out nicely in the end but were a pain. Prior to ordering the SOR kit, I ordered a cheaper kit from another company and hated the material quality as well as the color match with the carpet on the door panels. That kit got returned.

Overall I'm super happy with how it turned out and how it has held up since install. I drive it daily to work and around town on the weekends and it looks the same as the day it went in. This past weekend, I was wrenching on some stuff under the hood at my FIL's garage and he made a comment on how good it still looks (again, he's done a ton of restorations). I'm out of town until Tuesday, but I'd be happy to shoot pictures over later this week.

I installed one into my FJ62 three years ago. I really like it. Fits tight and looks really clean. It has as close to an OEM look as I could find online (with the exception of the vinyl trim pieces up front by the shifter assembly). I'm especially happy with how it fits in the cargo area. It took maybe 3 hours to do with my father-in-law who is pretty experienced in full restoration projects and has done 3 or 4 carpet kits into 60 series. We've done a couple bronco carpet kits since then and don't remember the SOR kit being any more difficult than those.

If I'm remembering right, we did some very slight trimming in the second row around the center console. I don't recall any trimming in the cargo area. The most difficult part of the entire carpet install was getting the dead pedal/foot rest back in, which wouldn't be an issue in a 60. I would definitely recommend it as a two person job, we had one person pulling/tightening/placing screwdrivers through the carpet/jute into the bolt holes. The other person was replacing bolts and trim pieces. I bought some 40 oz jute padding rolls and we laid and cut that ourselves prior to the SOR kit going in. What I bought was quite a bit cheaper than the SOR jute.

We also installed the SOR wheel well covers that same day and those were quite a bit trickier than the carpet kit. They took quite a bit of trimming, re-trimming, and near over-trimming. Those turned out nicely in the end but were a pain. Prior to ordering the SOR kit, I ordered a cheaper kit from another company and hated the material quality as well as the color match with the carpet on the door panels. That kit got returned.

Overall I'm super happy with how it turned out and how it has held up since install. I drive it daily to work and around town on the weekends and it looks the same as the day it went in. This past weekend, I was wrenching on some stuff under the hood at my FIL's garage and he made a comment on how good it still looks (again, he's done a ton of restorations). I'm out of town until Tuesday, but I'd be happy to shoot pictures over later this week.
Thank you for this.

Sounds very similar to my current experience. Especially with ordering another kit that was lesser in quality.

Did you use any of the carpet pad in the cargo area? As I was putting my kids to sleep, laying next to them in bed tonight, I started to realize that maybe the issue with the fitment in the back was because I put the carpet pad underneath it. When I thought long and hard about it, I don't recall there being a carpet pad underneath the cargo area when I removed it?

Also, thank you for the tip on having two people to help with the install. That would probably help a lot. The quality of the kit is fantastic. It just doesn't fit right in that cargo area, but perhaps that's because I used their carpet pad back there as well.

There is a gentleman on here that sells new carpet sets. I believe cheaper than SOR. #DNP

Thank you for this.

Sounds very similar to my current experience. Especially with ordering another kit that was lesser in quality.

Did you use any of the carpet pad in the cargo area? As I was putting my kids to sleep, laying next to them in bed tonight, I started to realize that maybe the issue with the fitment in the back was because I put the carpet pad underneath it. When I thought long and hard about it, I don't recall there being a carpet pad underneath the cargo area when I removed it?

Also, thank you for the tip on having two people to help with the install. That would probably help a lot. The quality of the kit is fantastic. It just doesn't fit right in that cargo area, but perhaps that's because I used their carpet pad back there as well.
We did use the jute pad in the cargo area. I'll post up some pics of my fit in the back if you want to compare.

Saw in another thread you were thinking of LS swapping your rig. Keep me updated on that I'm exploring LS options for mine as well. Let me know if you have any other questions.

We did use the jute pad in the cargo area. I'll post up some pics of my fit in the back if you want to compare.

Saw in another thread you were thinking of LS swapping your rig. Keep me updated on that I'm exploring LS options for mine as well. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Some pictures would be appreciated. Yeah, I would love to do a LS swap but I'm just not sure if I have the energy for that one right now. I'm amateur at best with this stuff and that's a pretty big job. I would love to learn how to do it all but wife and two kids kind of... well, I don't have to say more after that. :)

There is a gentleman on here that sells new carpet sets. I believe cheaper than SOR. #DNP

Would highly recommend DNP's kit. I've had it installed for a couple of years. Excellent fitment and good to support a good guy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom