solvent (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking for some parts cleaner solvent (for use in a 20 gal parts washer), other than the stinky, highly combustible varsol types that seems to be the only choice from Lordco, PA, etc.

One suggestion that was tabled was a bilge cleaner, any thoughts on that Sailor?

I tried some environmentally friendly solvent, a few years ago, it didn't clean anything very well. I have since gone back to solvent. I got it from KMS, it is somewhat stinky and I'm not sure about combustible, my parts washer and welder are not that far apart. If you leave the lid closed the smell doesn't permeate, in fact, gear oil smells a lot worse.

Bilge cleaner is pretty caustic. I used it to clean a fibreglass deck on a new sport fishing boat and it made the surface rather porous. I just cleaned a filthy diesel generator with Spray Nine, worked very well. I think bilge cleaner could damage your skin over time. Also, anything with the word 'marine' or 'boat' seems to be a total ripoff...

So marine paint is the same as any other paint

Enigma said:
Well good old solvent it will be I guess. Princess Auto has 20 litre buckets at $40, pretty much at least half the price of anywhere else.

I swear I'm going to call that store power fist auto pretty soon, they are just a few products short of being an exclusive outlet store for em lol.

We got ours from KMS when they had it on sale one day, it's smelly stuff but if you keep the lid closed on the washer you won't even notice it.

Well good old solvent it will be I guess. .

That's what we we used at the shop. Well, it would start as solvent. Then any extra gas or even diesel not suitable for running on would get dumped in there (gasoline is a very effective cleaner). Spent a lot of time washing parts years ago. ***t up my hands pretty good; in hindsight wearing gloves would have been smart :meh:.

Had some really nasty carb cleaner dip in a bucket for soaking stuff in overnight, no scrubbing. Very effective but really stinky and very toxic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom