SOA Question (1 Viewer)

I welded on new spring perches on a 3500 pound axle to put under my M416 project. I got some U-bolts made up, and they appear to be a little small at the bend. Attached is a picture. I haven't torqued them down yet, but I suspect I may have to get new u-bolts a little wider. Is it normal to have any spacing between the axle and the center of the bend on the u-bolt? See attached picture...

Picture012.jpg

Some spacing is ok, but probally not that much. When you tighten them down, it is suppossed to be a good close fit, but it looks like that setup would take a whole lot of torque to set properly. Many people also recommend not re-using the u-bolts, they do stretch and lose strength.
Uhhh, look at that spring pack!! wow! how much weight are you carrying?

GLTHFJ60

Rum Runnin'
SILVER Star
Those look to be the stock M416 spring packs.

I agree with lx450, pick some up from the hardware store for your diameter axle tube. It seems the u-bolts that were made for you weren't for your diameter axle tube.

Correct, they are the stock m416 springs, although they are new from omix-ada. the old ones were pretty much shot as it appeared the airforce had been using the trailer to haul heavy loads.

Thanks for the advise, I am going to replace. What a PITA.

hey you

SILVER Star
I'm sorry to hear about the problems, u-bolts can be easily purchased and cheep. On a different note, what were the axle measurments that you used? What are your plans for the trailer?

I'm currently rebuilding my trailer and plan to convert to a SOA, with brakes. My hopes were to match my FJ40's track using 33/12.50/15 on a 10 inch wheel with 3.5 back space.

ntsqd

technerd
What am I missing here? Are those loose or already tight? If loose I'd just tighten them and see how they look then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom