So I had my timing belt replaced today (138,444 mi) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I purchased my LX in Oct and finially had a chance to have the full timing belt service done today. The LX looks good inside and out but it was still on its original TB (138,444 miles). Don't wait until it's to late... Glad I caught mine in time
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

The fact that mine hasn't been replaced since 05 has me feeling terrified every time I drive the truck.

The fact that mine hasn't been replaced since 05 has me feeling terrified every time I drive the truck.

that is just russian roulette. take it to jeff at bearden automotive ASAP. you are well, WELL, WELL, beyond the 6 year replacement timeframe. tell him I sent you.

How many miles are on it?
240k now.
Carfax only has date of timing belt and no mileage. Maybe previous owner used an independent shop.

Crosses fingers.

I can't afford to buy a kit yet because the radiator tank is leaking and I just spent $400 on the front end [emoji24]

Sent from my SM-G920P

I'll one up you. Mine has been about 120k miles and 9 years from the last change. Have the money to do it with out a problem. The real issues is I am fully capable and the icing on top is I'm a parts guy at a Toyota dealer! Oh well. I'll get to it some day!:D

Last edited by a moderator:
fix the radiator leak... there is nothing wrong with using the $125 free shipping radiator off ebay far better than toasting an engine... the factory hoses seem to last a lifetime so just do the radiator... i have seen them as cheap as $100...

[slap, slap, slap] Good god, man, get ahold of yourself. Your "terror" had no basis in fact, data, or logic...

just wondering... my belt has 50k on it and more that 6 years since it's been changed. is the time a big deal? or, just the mileage?

rubber degrades over time. How much time to kill a belt who really knows. Is your 6 year old belt as strong as a 1 year old belt nope. Will it last 15 years ? I bet there are still several LC running around on the original with several 100 thousand miles on them. Its a matter of risk how close to the edge of a cliff are you willing to get.

sure, that makes sense. when i took it in to the dealership from front rotors and bearings, they said the TB was good for a while and i didn't need to worry for at least 20k more. maybe i got the FNG?

Looks worse than mine did on the OE belt at >138k miles on it. I think you saved your bacon by replacing it when you did.

I posted around xmas about my buddies 4.7 4runner I did the tb/wp on. Original tb/wp and spark plugs. 12 years and 266k. Belt still looked ok. WP was just starting to seep. That was a in a Kansas City vehicle that sees all weather. Drier climates like me in az are harder on TBs I think.

I wouldn't worry as much about the belt as all the components the belt rides on. Just my own thought, but the belt will probably chunk rubber and skip a tooth before it will break.

Im pretty sure im on the original TB, and im over 208,000 on the clock. knock knock on wooood.... I plan to replace shortly and will post pics...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom