So. Cal to BC trip (inland). Suggestions? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
OK, planning for a camping trip from So Cal to Canada (BC) but this time would like to stay away from the Coast which I've done before. So thinking more Eastern Cal, OR and WA maybe. Suggestions on what to see / do?
In particular, should I stay on the Western or Eastern side of the Sierras?
At least 2 weeks, hopefully, maybe 3. Prefer to stay at least 2 / 3 days in one spot and do local exploring / wheeling.

thoughts?

TIA

We made a run down highway 93 from Fernie BC to Twin falls ID a couple of weeks ago and it sure was pretty. I don't think it took much longer then the I-15 either in spite of all the 45 zones and a couple of pitstops at 'notown' honkytonks. We did waste a few minutes looking over the truck after I smashed Bambi though.

Also I came back from Rubithon a couple of years ago via 395 and saw a bunch of road with no people. Really enjoyed that.

thanks, anybody else?

Staying away from the coast? I can tell you that once you pass San Francisco, if you're not on the coast (Hwy 1) or near it (Hwy 101), there isn't much to see until you cross the CA/OR border.

How about heading up Hwy 395? You'll get a nice view of the Eastern Sierras. You could take it from the southern-most point or cut through Yosemite (the pass should be open, but you might want to call first). Just south of Mono Lake is June Lake. June Lake is supposed to be a nice place to visit. 395 will also take you past Bodie State Park -- which, if you don't know is a preserved "ghost town". 395 continues north through Carson City, NV and Reno, NV, then cuts back into California and through Susanville, Alturas, then across the CA/OR border just east of Goose Lake.

Once you cross the border, you could continue North on 395 or head West toward Klamath Falls and continue your journey northward.

When you said BC I thought you meant Baja California! Man, it's too dang hot if you're not on the coast! But I don't have AC. I don't even have doors ;) I've always wanted to do the 395 to norcal. I've done the stretch through the desert in so cal, it's beautiful.

-derek

NorCalDoug said:
Staying away from the coast? I can tell you that once you pass San Francisco, if you're not on the coast (Hwy 1) or near it (Hwy 101), there isn't much to see until you cross the CA/OR border.

How about heading up Hwy 395? You'll get a nice view of the Eastern Sierras. You could take it from the southern-most point or cut through Yosemite (the pass should be open, but you might want to call first). Just south of Mono Lake is June Lake. June Lake is supposed to be a nice place to visit. 395 will also take you past Bodie State Park -- which, if you don't know is a preserved "ghost town". 395 continues north through Carson City, NV and Reno, NV, then cuts back into California and through Susanville, Alturas, then across the CA/OR border just east of Goose Lake.

Once you cross the border, you could continue North on 395 or head West toward Klamath Falls and continue your journey northward.

yup, tentatively the plan is to go to Reno via Mammoth,, then go on up or down via 395 and / or 97 all the way to WA and then Vancouver.
I thought that Northern Calif was nice to see, foresty and all? Never explored that part yet....

e9999 said:
yup, tentatively the plan is to go to Reno via Mammoth,, then go on up or down via 395 and / or 97 all the way to WA and then Vancouver.
I thought that Northern Calif was nice to see, foresty and all? Never explored that part yet....

The farthest north I've been on the eastern side is about 40 miles north of Susanville. IMO, it's much more scenic than the central section along the I-5 corridor. I'm not sure about the scenery between Reno and Susanville on 395, but the trip from Truckee north on 89 is very scenic and is one of my favorite drives. The area around Alturas is very nice, I'm told -- I had a friend from there when I was in college.

As you head into B.C., if you go through Ferney, stop by the movie theatre there -- drop my name -- you might get a free bag of popcorn or something. I know the owner :)

NorCalDoug said:
The farthest north I've been on the eastern side is about 40 miles north of Susanville. IMO, it's much more scenic than the central section along the I-5 corridor. I'm not sure about the scenery between Reno and Susanville on 395, but the trip from Truckee north on 89 is very scenic and is one of my favorite drives. The area around Alturas is very nice, I'm told -- I had a friend from there when I was in college.

As you head into B.C., if you go through Ferney, stop by the movie theatre there -- drop my name -- you might get a free bag of popcorn or something. I know the owner :)

Then come due West to the Vancouver Island and drop by for a beer, rated third most beautiful island in the world......

Rob

can't wait guys...
off in a day or 2
thanks

off we go!
don't do anything I would not approve of! :D
E

back!
what a blast!
4500 miles. Central Calif to top of Washington.
Highly recommended!

e9999 said:
back!
what a blast!
4500 miles. Central Calif to top of Washington.
Highly recommended!
Where's the trip report?

Come on! Write it up!

NorCalDoug said:
Where's the trip report?

Come on! Write it up!

sorry, too tired for now...
Let's just say we did just about every National Park and National Monument we could think of in Northern Cal, OR, and WA, plus all the scenic roads in between!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom