Snow wheeling (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Is anybody interested in getting into some fresh snow for a day and learning what it takes to wheel in the snow
Did you have a specific day/date in mind? Local mountains big bear area?

Marc

I think this Saturday might be a good day for a local snow run in Big Bear. They've gotten only a few inches so far this year (not enough to open the ski lifts), but it's actually snowing there now as I write this. It might be a good way to check out snow-wheeling without the risk of super deep drifts.

If anyone else is up for it, I am.

I think this Saturday might be a good day for a local snow run in Big Bear. They've gotten only a few inches so far this year (not enough to open the ski lifts), but it's actually snowing there now as I write this. It might be a good way to check out snow-wheeling without the risk of super deep drifts.

I'm up for doing A-day of snow wheeling . I will have a better idea in the afternoon if I'm freed up from a prior commitment . I have a couple of potential very easy trail routes that we could consider?

Marc

I am available for this day trip tomorrow . Already spoke with Joe about potential trail ideas. So there are at least 2 confirmed drivers at this point. Most likely we will go up to the high desert Hesperia area or highway 18 and access the mountain from the Eastern side .

Marc

I just re-checked my facts - Big Bear has gotten 15" of snow since January 1, and the resorts are open. I also just talked to Marc, who suggested coming up the back way through Hesperia. We could take 3N14 - Coxey Road out of Hesperia, and head towards Fawnskin. Depending on conditions & timing, we could finish at Fawnskin, or we could detour about halfway from 3N14 onto 3N16 - Holcomb Valley and take that towards Green Valley Lake. Any other suggestions?

Last edited:
That all sounds good, Joe you usually plan trips starting farther away and ending closer to our final destination, I think that is great way to plan day trips. Either way you and Mark would like is fine with me.

We went up last Sunday. There was a decent amount of snow heading out on 3N14 from Fawnskin. There was not much snow on the northern half of 3N16 heading towards Green Valley but it got deep a few miles before reaching the paved road. Maybe after Thursday's storm there will be a lot more snow. Have fun!

I just re-checked my facts - Big Bear has gotten 15" of snow since January 1, and the resorts are open. I also just talked to Marc, who suggested coming up the back way through Hesperia. We could take 3N14 - Coxey Road out of Hesperia, and head towards Fawnskin. Depending on conditions & timing, we could finish at Fawnskin, or we could detour about halfway from 3N14 onto 3N16 - Holcomb Valley and take that towards

Joe , Has identified a Suitable location in his post for meeting .Please refer to those details/times .
We will proceed through Hesperia . To coxey truck trail(3n14) , We will make our way up the mountain until we get up to the main intersection near Big Pine flats campground and staging area . At this point we can make a decision how we want to proceed further Snow conditions on trails may Dictate Direction . We could take 3n16 eastbound all the way to the end where it comes out near the local landfill . Then take a brief trip on pavement(hwy18) . To the cactus flat staging area . Then proceed on 3n03 , Which will eventually merge with 3n02 southward. This Mostly easy forest road will eventually take you towards Pioneer town . Or We could also take 3n16 westward , Working our way towards Green Valley lake area As mentioned .

Marc

Last edited:
The trailhead out of Hesperia is here: Bowen Ranch Road trailhead to 3N14 - Coxey Road. Corner of Roundup Way & Bowen Ranch Road, per Google Maps. Let's plan to depart from there at 9:00 AM. I just don't want to run out of daylight, and combine snow-wheeling with night-wheeling. Yikes!!!

There is a breakfast cafe about 15 minutes from the trailhead. It's called Mile High Cafe, and has good Yelp ratings. Here's the link: Mile High Cafe. How about we meet there, fueled up, provisioned, and ready to depart at 8:45 AM (assuming 9:00 AM trailhead departure). I'll probably get there about 7:30 AM for breakfast, if any one would like to join me.

On a side note, for a snow-wheeling run I'd suggest bringing not only enough food & water for lunch, but extra for an emergency dinner if the day goes longer than expected. It's not too likely that will happen, but being cold & hungry is worse than just being cold!

Last edited:
The trailhead out of Hesperia is here: Bowen Ranch Road trailhead to 3N14 - Coxey Road. Corner of Roundup Way & Bowen Ranch Road, per Google Maps. How about planning to depart from there at 8:30 AM (or would 9:00 AM be better?) I just don't want to run out of daylight, and combine snow-wheeling with night-wheeling. Yikes!!!

There is a breakfast cafe about 15 minutes from the trailhead. It's called Mile High Cafe, and has good Yelp ratings. Here's the link: Mile High Cafe. How about we meet there, fueled up, provisioned, and ready to depart at 8:15 AM (assuming 8:30 AM trailhead departure). I'll probably get there about 7:00 AM for breakfast, if any one would like to join me.

On a side note, on a snow-wheeling run I'd suggest bringing not only enough for lunch, but extra for an emergency dinner if the day goes longer than expected. It's not too likely that will happen, but being cold & hungry is worse than just being cold!
9am sounds good to me

Marc

The trailhead out of Hesperia is here: Bowen Ranch Road trailhead to 3N14 - Coxey Road. Corner of Roundup Way & Bowen Ranch Road, per Google Maps. Let's plan to depart from there at 9:00 AM. I just don't want to run out of daylight, and combine snow-wheeling with night-wheeling. Yikes!!!

There is a breakfast cafe about 15 minutes from the trailhead. It's called Mile High Cafe, and has good Yelp ratings. Here's the link: Mile High Cafe. How about we meet there, fueled up, provisioned, and ready to depart at 8:45 AM (assuming 9:00 AM trailhead departure). I'll probably get there about 7:30 AM for breakfast, if any one would like to join me.

On a side note, for a snow-wheeling run I'd suggest bringing not only enough food & water for lunch, but extra for an emergency dinner if the day goes longer than expected. It's not too likely that will happen, but being cold & hungry is worse than just being cold!
Well snow wheeling turned out to be quite the adventure yesterday . We had total of 5 drivers for the day run . We had a recovery combined with a moderate trail repair . All in the same incident . Dat is the superhero of the day . He had a complete spare drive shaft On board ,which fit an FJ60 that broke on the trail. Our next challenge was the designated trail we were attempting to ascend to big bear had a severe wash out which made the trail impassable . So back we went(detour) to another trailhead and got up into big bear late afternoon . Up to this point the snow wheeling was more dirt and mud puddle wheeling .The group elected to take a trail that would take us to Green Valley lake area where we would air up for the ride home . Fortunately the last 6 or 7 miles of the trail towards Green Valley we encountered a nice snow covered trail experience all the way to the end, in the dark . Considering our challenges earlier in the day it was a great success, Fun adventure everyone, had a good time .

Marc

Yep had a great time, we kept on getting obstacles thrown at us, but ultimately were rewarded with a great night time snow run.
A couple of photos for you Carlos .

20230107_103128.jpg

20230107_103139.jpg

20230107_103145.jpg