Slider Battle Royale (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, I have been trying to search and can't find any concrete reviews on the RCI sliders or LFD sliders.

I am stuck between these two sliders but am also open to opening it up to other options. I personally like the bolt on full frame support mounting plate, I think that lends some additional strength that 3 individual legs would be missing.

RCI Sliders GX470
$795 with fill plates and no powder coat
LFD Sliders GX470
$749 with fill plates and no powder coat

I believe they are both built with 1.75 DOM round tubing that is .120 thick with a kickout.

I am open to considering .180 Burly sliders, but I haven't needed sliders in my overlanding for the past 5 years in an outback, so I'm not sure if I need the heaviest of heavy duty sliders.

I'm currently leaning towards RCI since I will be ordering their skids as well and they are a short road trip to pick them up in CO and visit some family.

Does anyone have any experience with these sliders reliability and ease of install?

Thanks!

Check out Budbuilt sliders as well. They're more expensive but I think they kick out a bit more and they have more material and are stronger than any other sliders that you can buy from my research. Also Bud's designs were one of the first and are what most other companies have based their sliders on. What sold me on them is Bud has a degree in material science specializing in metals. I talked to him on the phone and he designs around the other components of the vehicle in his products so that your skids and sliders are the weak point and you end up breaking those before the frame of the vehicle. Everything that I received was extremely high quality and I would do it the same way again if I was to do it over.

I also posted pics of my skids and sliders installed with a guide if you're interested.

Check out Budbuilt sliders as well. They're more expensive but I think they kick out a bit more and they have more material and are stronger than any other sliders that you can buy from my research. Also Bud's designs were one of the first and are what most other companies have based their sliders on. What sold me on them is Bud has a degree in material science specializing in metals. I talked to him on the phone and he designs around the other components of the vehicle in his products so that your skids and sliders are the weak point and you end up breaking those before the frame of the vehicle. Everything that I received was extremely high quality and I would do it the same way again if I was to do it over.

I also posted pics of my skids and sliders installed with a guide if you're interested.
@captainva Those are all really great points, I especially like the fact that Bud has designed his stuff to be only slightly weaker than the frame. I had never considered that, that is a huge selling point.

Also thanks for the great write up on the install, I was just reading that a few days ago while I lurked on the forum. Love the blue that you painted everything, very iconic!

The most important area where designing parts to be weaker than the frame is on the front skid plate. That one tends to take a lot of abuse and I was told that Budbuilt have seen more than one rig with the frame bent or cracked where it ends and connects to the radiator bend due to the skids being too strong. One other thing is Budbuilt makes most of their money building purpose built offroad rigs designed to take crazy levels of abuse so they have a lot of experience and they are continually improving all of their designs. I was told they had a revised set of skid plates for the GX470 that was going to be released some time this year to address some of the "weaker" areas and improve coverage. I did a ton of research before I settled on them so I hope this helps you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom