Slee dual batteries don't fit right? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

KISS dual battery = larger group 31 SLI + Lithium jump pack? :deadhorse:

Seems trying to shoehorn a second group 27 or even group 24 is definitely not KISS (but I am following this thread with interest)

Yeah getting into heavy mods certainly defeats the whole point of KISS. First off, you can just use the stock Slee battery tray and never worry about any of this stuff. But 100aH capacity per battery is pretty disappointing. 200aH vs 140 stock is barely worth messing with. With a little extra hassle/mods you can get 24's and 130aH per battery. 260aH vs 140 stock is actually worth messing with for me personally.

And yes, adding another LiiFePo4 in back is a great way to get more capacity, but it'd be rad to not need that for a typical weekend trip, also not need to mess with BCDC, extra wiring, fuses, relays, etc. I live in Seattle, anything of value left in the vehicle WILL be stolen. So if I were going with extra capacity in the back, it'd need to be removable anyway. YMMV if you're in an area that is not surrounded by zombies.

Not *usable* capacity though - unless your secondary is lithium.

Good point! I'm looking into AGM dual purpose deep cycle/starting batteries that would actually yield close to full capacity as useable. Reviews seem erratic though, some people love em and have great experiences, other people hate em and have all kinds of issues.

Okay, another update on this thread. Turns out not all Group 27 batteries are the same size (kinda defeats the purpose of group sizes right???).

Long story short, get rid of the Slee tray altogether and use a generic Group 27 tray (drill your own mounting holes). Then by utilizing the unused tab on the radiator to mount the PS reservoir (cheap, easy, and achieves max clearance) and cutting the plastic overhang off of the airbox mounting foot, you can get just barely over 12" of length, which is enough for SOME Group 27 batteries (shorter ones are 12", longer ones are up to 12 3/4").

I found this DUAL PURPOSE deep cycle / starting Group 27 (12" length) lead acid that's rated for 160 mins reserve capacity and 100aH.

Two of these would yield about DOUBLE the amp hours of a typical Group 35 battery which is about 80 mins RC and 50aH, AND they are dual purpose starter and deep cycle, so nearly the full 200aH is usable. And of course, one should fit in the aux battery spot without requiring an expensive, special battery tray like a Slee or SDHQ. All that's required is minor mods:

- Zip-tie or hose clamp PS reservoir to unused radiator bracket
- Cut a notch in airbox foot
- Mount DRL resistor wherever
- Install a G27 battery tray to taste

This is the route I'm going to go. Ordering a generic Group 27 tray now. If this works, I'll post an instructional video and put my Slee tray in the classifieds.

In fact, looking at this, what is the point of using two Group 35 batteries for KISS at all???

If we're going off Interstate batts as a baseline:

1 x Group 27 = 160 mins RC and 100aH capacity
2 x Group 35 = 160 mins RC and 100aH capacity

Cranking amps are irrelevant....and yes, some Group 35's may get a little more capacity, but so will some Group 27's. So literally, no point to the Dual KISS setup if you're going Group 35's....all the more reason to ditch the Slee tray and step up to dual G27's.

KISS dual battery = larger group 31 SLI + Lithium jump pack? :deadhorse:

Seems trying to shoehorn a second group 27 or even group 24 is definitely not KISS (but I am following this thread with interest)

Heh. My thought exactly. Not sure how moving heaven and Earth to clear an extra 1/4 inch is KISS. 😂 Personally, I’d rather hire YOU…to build another lithium like the one you showed to me when I stopped by your place some time back. 👍🏼👍🏼

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom