Slawek LC TD Kelowna (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi
I'm new to this forum.
The Okanagan doesn't seem to have it's own so I thought I'd introduce myself in this one.
Am looking to get away into the woods with the kids on weekends. Anyone have any suggestions for pristine, natural places that are not crazy steep or far or dangerous? Fishing lakes, rivers, hot-springs, animals and other points of interest - You know!
Driving in the area I'm coming up against too many no-tresspassing-signs, motorbikers, forestry industry and other obstacles. It's not like it used to be here, anymore.
Don't feel like burning excess fuel on a blind search, so I'm reaching out for the wisdom of others.

Last edited:
There is tons of places there, one of my favorite is Tupper Lake North of Merrit, another good one is just south of Kelowna between Kelowna and Naramata - I can't remember the name right now I'll have to look it up. For the most part you can pick up a Backroad Mapbook from Mussio Ventures at most book stores and have a look at the stuff there. If you want some light duty trails just stick to the places that have a thicker line going to them, and ussually if they have a campsite sign they are not bad to get to. I'll have to dig out my map to give you some more names. It also depends on how far you want to go from your back yard.

There are lots of roads in the Princeton area. As Fantom said, get yourself a BackRoads map book. At every time of the year, except spring break-up, you have to expect logging traffic on the forest service roads. Just because you don't see an active logging road sign don't assume that it isn't active. Always be looking for a way out - usually a backhoe ditch ;) - so you are ready to get out of the loaded trucks way. Now you will also have the pleasure of watching out for people on ATVs and many roads. I don't recommend that you wheel alone unless you are ready to walk-out with the kids.

A nice short late spring / summer trip is to take the Hornet lake road off of the old highway 5 (just north of Allison Lake). Go to the power line and follow the power line road South. Once you hit the power line there is a road which goes into a small lake on the East. Don't take this road beyond the trees! The lake (Lost lake) is bordered with grey clay and will have you stuck up to the axle before you can say sh*t. I spent most of a day digging, jacking, cutting lodgepole pine to get myself out of there once. Unless you have a hitch mount winch, you will have no way of winching yourself out of there. The lake has some great fishing on a leach or shrimp pattern fly. There use to be a couple plywood boats hidden in the bush. Just put them back where you found them.

If you continue on in another km or so you will see a trail going off to the right to Butler lake - its a 15 min walk in lake. You need a rubber dingy for this one. Bears seem to like this lake so keep an eye out for them. It doesn't help having idiots cleaning their fish at the trail head and leaving the guts on the ground. The conservation officer once had a long hike out, as he went to the walk in point on his dirt bike. Upon returning he found two bears chewing on his bike - both tires chewed off and the seat and handles all chewed up.

Continuing South, the road goes by two small lakes on the West side. The Fish and Game club tried stocking these lakes many years ago but they always winter killed. Just past these lakes the road goes up about 100 feet of rock face. The first part is the steppest. Put your TC into low range and take it slow and easy.

Pretty soon the powerline meets up to the gas line road. You have a choice of going to the right to Stringer lake or going South off of Elephant Mountain back down to the floor of the Allison lake valley. There are a number of roads which go off the top of the mountain and down to the valley. The Stringer lake road will take you right down to Allison lake. It washes out frequently and is usually not maintained. Given all the loose gravel, wash outs and the absence of trees (to catch you should you go off the road), I do not recommend this one. Also, do not take the gas line road north. It ends with a very steep slope which only a D9 would venture down or up. Another road brings you down by Makenzie lake. This is a nice easy road but I think the FS has cut it and locked it off from the bottom.

One last word of warning, if you are out in August, keep an eye out for cranky range bulls. They can do a bit of nasty body work and after all the cow work are not in the mood to be honked at. I have heard of them taking on logging trucks which have p*ssed them off.

Cheers, John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom