Slant 6 (yah yah) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, I know you guy´s hate it when I do this, but hey I gotta be me. So I´m not even done with my first project (though it is coming along quite nicely, pics soon), I recently could not resist buying my second. There is a 76 40 here that I have had my eye on for a few months in a secret hidden location, price was high but they caved and I bought it for 400 bucks. Bit of rust but not as bad as the first, PERFECT frame, missing it´s motorvator. So... there are people down here (Peru) that can make adapters to put nearly any motor to any trany and do it all the time. So, I have located an abandoned (I know, sounds bad but listen) 60 something dodge truck with a slant six in it that I can yank out and at least take a look at its innards for free. My guess, in light of the rep of these motors that it is probably rebuildable .My question involves merely the general usability, dimensions and so on, as a replacement for the F that was in there???? Anyone have any thoughts? I realize a retrofit deisel would be nice but I would not be happy with anything except a turbo D and those are going to make my wallent sad, so if this will FIT, I know they can be made to run reall well, they even race these things, saw someone on the net showing a 10 something second quarter mile car with a normally aspirated slant 6 in it.

Thanks, and though I have donned my best asbestos leisure suit, please keep the flames down to a dull roar? ;)

Mark...

Been a while since I've seen one - which way does it slant? (as in clearance for front diff head...).
Smaller than the F at around 3.6 litres (unless they came bigger than 221?).
Smaller flywheel and I suspect shorter stroke would mean less torque/luggability.

Haven't a clue if it will fit but good luck Mark.

Whatever turns you on - as they say.

I reckon you and your tape measure are probably the best judge.

I would imagine the front diff hitting the sump will be what you'll have to avoid. And I don't think tilting the motor/trans to some precarious angle is the solution. (Hey. I KNOW what you're like!:D)

Radiator position can always be moved forward of course.

:cheers:

Note: -I wanna see pictures of your handiwork Mark. (They do sell cameras in Peru?)

Dodge slant sixes were great engines, well built, solid and practically indistructable!.......lots of taxis in south america used them because of this..............they slanted to the right BUT it has been many years since I had to opportunity to see one in person "Colombia" province of Santander where the roads were total crap used as a taxi;

Lou

think the dodge slant six has a lot lower profile than the toyota straight 6.....intake was if I recall on the drivers side and the motor was slanted towards the passengers side <right>

Lou

Slant Sixes are cool engines. One of the more reliable of the four main bearing sizes (as opposed to the more modern seven main bearing sixes).

Two drawbacks for an FJ40...

Six cylinders nestle into the indentation in the firewall. V-8's can work because they're shorter than the stock six. But, the rule of thumb for a Slant Six is that it's as long as a conventional six, but the rear of the engine extends back from what would be the right hand bank on a V-8. Meaning that there may be a serious firewall clearance issue with the right (passenger) firewall. I measured my '71 FJ40. It's 33.5" from the back of the radiator to the face of the right (passenger) firewall. But there are wires coming out from the firewall. And you need some clearance for the fan. So I'm going to say that the rear of the head/block to the front of the fan blades should not exceed 32". I don't have a Slant Six anymore to measure, but a reference book says the 170/198/225 is 30" long. I don't know if that is bellhousing to water pump or bellhousing to fan. In comparison, the Chevy 250 Six is listed as being 33" long, and it nestles back into the firewall indentation like the Toyota engine. This indentation is about 3" deep. A small block Chevy is listed as being 28" long. Mine is pretty close to the driver and passenger firewalls, but I do have some room in the fan area. I'm not aware of anyone putting a Slant Six in their FJ40, but I haven't bothered to search the threads, either.

The other problem is that the distributer is mounted in a position even more vulnerable to water splash than most sizes. It would be wise to try to water proof it and install a splash shield or shields. I disliked working on that side of my Slant Six.

Here are websites for the Slant Six:
The Mopar slant six engines
Slant Six Forum
Slant Six - Valiant, Duster, Dart, Demon, Mopar, Plymouth, Dodge, Chrysler, Belvedere, Satellite, Challenger, Cuda
Chrysler Slant-6 engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If I was interested in an American six, I'd be looking into something like the Chevy 292 or the Ford 300. The latter might also be too long for the engine compartment. But it's a helluva engine. Gobs of torque.

Now if you really wanted to be different, and just had to have a six, check out the Aussie Falcon Crossflow Six. Ford Six Performance: The Web's Leading Resource for Ford Inline Six-Cylinder Engines and Cars!

Ford sixes: Ford Six Performance: The Web's Leading Resource for Ford Inline Six-Cylinder Engines and Cars!

Chevy six: iinfo page2

I would add to brian's post that most slant sixes are anemic one barrel engines. And quite a few of them are only 198CID, not the "big" 225.

Why go to all the hassle of stabbing a significantly smaller engine in place of a 2F?

X2 with JC........where I was working there were lots of both and never heard of anyone taking out an F or 2F to put in a slant 6:hmm:.......they were ok for taxis but for hauling and grinding up mud/rock jungle trails........toyotas ruled;:D never saw a "cheep" in those areas unless it was an original 4 cyl willis; LRs??? only in the cities.........there were quite a few Nissan Patrols and they did have a good rep but overall the preference was for LCs........also known as "El Macho"

Lou

sideways

Thanks Brian, that was very helpfull. Seems pretty clear from your info that it "will fit", the sump orientation needs to be looked at though and I would only want to use it if it was really a 225. Wont hurt (or cost anything) to pull it out and at least take a look at the options, did I mention it was free? BTW, regarding clearnance, do people do front mounted electric fans in thier LCs¿

Oh yah, to thoughtful poster (Mr. Marbles) who was warning me not to try to mount the engine in a semi horizontal position, gee thanks. Actually I was more thinking of just putting it in upside down, I mean why screw around, right? :flipoff2:

When the half doors are done, and when I get the tube work done (sliders that extend up along the countours of the fenders) I will entertain you all with some snaps... oh the paint needs buffed out too, dont hold your breath. For the record though, my new motor is running very well, I got my hard assed spring problem fixed with three new springs on each side of the front pack, extended shackles and new bushings. The shackle angle could be improved upon, but the ride is very much improved and need to do the same to the rear now.

Cheers people, thanks for the feedback on the swap question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom