Silone brakefluid (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Any thoughts on using DOT5 brake fluid for something that sits most of the time. I have used MIL H 5606 (Dextron II) before when I can replace all the seals with viton/butyl. Actually, I doubt you can find natural rubber seals anymore. I want to go DOT 5 in my 45 becouse it will sit 95% of the time. I would go MIL H but it's not DOT approved as a brake fluid.

I tried silicone once on my Bugeye and was not happy, maybe it was the rubber failing or just the high price of the latest and greatest (back then) that soured me on the stuff. Maybe things are better now. I still buy Dot 3 by the gallon and have a good squirt bottle. And rubber gloves.

I don't like 5606 either...helicopters puke, squirt, belch, vomit, explosively release, trickle, dribble, seep, weep, aerate, and mist 5606 all over every micro cubic whatever of space and most black holes...and then the stuff gels and is tough to clean up. Haunts my dreams, but sounds like you like it though, good on ya!

Sleeving the cylinders is an option if bleeding every now and then isn't...

Just so you know, I'm not a hater...I hate haters. This came from Whitepost with my rebuilt master cylinders:

"We do not recommend the use of silicone brake fluid. Some usage has been successful and many have had trouble. This fluid will swell some grades of rubber causing your brakes to lock. It will soften and jell some rubber causing your cylinders to leak. We suggest that you use the kind of fluid recommended for your car and change it in a few years."

I was going to try it on my latest since everything was fresh...........but did not.......I just didn't think it was worth the risk of a problem. I've seen no sign of any problems (rust,cloudiness, moisture) in the other 25 with conventional fluid and figure on changing it every couple years.................but it's already overdue...... :doh:

Thanks for the input guys. I have used it (silicone BF) once in a high performance application, it tends to give a spongy feel when you get it hot. My problem is this, I live in a dry place (central CO) but we get a huge temp swing from -45 to 80 deg. So condensation is a big issue, I would like to use something that is not hygroscopic. As for 5606, yea, rotory AC drip it, foam it etc (I used to get a regular dose when we would do S**Thook blasts in the machine). In a wheeled vehichle, it works pretty darned well if you don't get a natural rubber seal in there. I am definetly having the cylinders sleaved by the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom