Side-trips, and Scenic camp sites from Palo Alto CA to Boulder CO (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Palo Alto, California & Squamish, British Columbia
I am planning a trip from SF Bay Area to Boulder Colorado, first week of August (4 nights). Spend a few days in Boulder and Colorado Springs areas, 4 days back to SF Bay Area. I'll be driving my Lexus GX470 (OME Lift with 34s, re-geared, 3x lockers, skids+sliders, no bumpers yet). My initial route will look something like this:
  1. SF Bay Area to Mammoth Lakes/Mono Lake Area
  2. Across Nevada to Bryce
  3. Bryce to Moab/Arches
  4. Moab to Keystone/Georgetown Colorado
I'm looking for advice on scenic easy/moderate trails off this route and scenic camping on segment 1, 2 and 3. I haven't done much off-roading so I'd like to stay with easy to mild routes. Both dispersed camping and campgrounds works for me.

I have not planned the route back yet. Probably just straight through I-70, US-50, and I-80 back, and camping every night. I'd appreciate any recommendations on that route as well.

I actually did a pretty similar trip a few years back. Around Mammoth I stayed just a bit south at Convict Lake which was gorgeous and an easy night of camping. Cool little trail around the lake as well that was about an hour hike and you can rent kayaks and rowboats.

Facility Details - CONVICT LAKE CAMPGROUND, CA - Recreation.gov

Segment 3, Bryce to Moab, I recommend taking 22/62/24 or 12 over to Capitol Reef area and ride the Cathedral Valley Loop, then Factory Butte Road to Wild Horse Road, emerging at Goblin Valley. There is only one permitted campground on the Cathedral loop, but it has 15+/- campsites. Dispersed camping is permitted on the latter two roads, with sites on Wild Horse Road being more "aesthetic", IMO.

Site registration is free and permits you to view complete trail guides with GPS track (download free) plus trail photos and video.

Wild Horse Road | Trails Offroad
Factory Butte Road | Trails Offroad
Cathedral Valley Loop | Trails Offroad

Goblin Valley, Wild Horse Road, and Factory Butte, Utah – Trails Offroad – Blog

I've not finished writing the Cathedral Valley Loop blog article, but it's coming!

I actually did a pretty similar trip a few years back. Around Mammoth I stayed just a bit south at Convict Lake which was gorgeous and an easy night of camping. Cool little trail around the lake as well that was about an hour hike and you can rent kayaks and rowboats.

Facility Details - CONVICT LAKE CAMPGROUND, CA - Recreation.gov

Stunning but no availability the night I will arrive in the area. I could try showing up but I don't want to hunt. I'll probably just set up camp on the north side of Mono lake or on the other side of Mono Craters (from 395).

Segment 3, Bryce to Moab, I recommend taking 22/62/24 or 12 over to Capitol Reef area and ride the Cathedral Valley Loop, then Factory Butte Road to Wild Horse Road, emerging at Goblin Valley. There is only one permitted campground on the Cathedral loop, but it has 15+/- campsites. Dispersed camping is permitted on the latter two roads, with sites on Wild Horse Road being more "aesthetic", IMO.

Site registration is free and permits you to view complete trail guides with GPS track (download free) plus trail photos and video.

Wild Horse Road | Trails Offroad
Factory Butte Road | Trails Offroad
Cathedral Valley Loop | Trails Offroad

Goblin Valley, Wild Horse Road, and Factory Butte, Utah – Trails Offroad – Blog

I've not finished writing the Cathedral Valley Loop blog article, but it's coming!

Wow. Thanks! Exactly the kind of info I'm looking for.

Reactions: SAS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom