Shovel Mount to Stock Roof Rack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone mounted or have thoughts on how to mount shovel to the stock rails / bars? I think I have solutions figured out for my MaxTrax and 4gal RotoPax, but I seem to be struggling to find a solution that will be secure off-road. Shovel, MaxTrax and RotoPax will only be on the rack when off-road, and removed for daily driving, so the option to lock the shovel, while nice, is not crucial. The MaxTrax and RotoPax have ok locking options available.

I used Quickfist clamps to attach shovels, axe, etc to the Frontrunner rack. You could probably figure out a way to attach the quickfists to the factory rails pretty easily.

Got a picture of your RotoPax mount setup?

The Yakima part is 23H. Grab that and a quick fist set in the diameter of your shovel.

@sdnative No pictures yet, I was going to assemble it this coming weekend. That being said, the few threads I've posted here as a recent first time owner are really showing me that you all have some very well thought out solutions...the approach that grinchy took seems much more elegant.

@grinchy Your solution is quite a clever use of parts, well done. I may shamelessly steal this, as it looks like it would prevent the need to drill into the factory crossbars. Your handle shows that you are based in Seattle? Depending on your view of what's happening in the world around us, would you be at all interested in meeting up for a masked, socially distant, in-person viewing of how this worked on your truck? Feel free to drop a PM if interested, and obviously zero hard feelings if it's not an option.

The images I can see in your other post show the RotoTrax boards, but not a RotoPax can. Do you feel this solution works well for the weight of a full 4 gallon can (24lbs gas + weight of the can itself).

I'm stealing my own thread with this, but how have you liked the RotoTrax compared to other options? I'm picking up my first set of MaxTrax on Saturday, and the RotoTrax were serious contenders due to price and my past experiences with that company, but they just SEEMED like they would be brittle. And the stacked height of 4 of them was also less appealing...

I may shamelessly steal this
Proceed!

Do you feel this solution works well for the weight of a full 4 gallon can (24lbs gas + weight of the can itself).
Sure. The can will be pretty stable while tightening, and once tight I don't think it'll slide. If concerned shape up a piece of wood, rubber, etc to replicate the spacer and drop it over the bolt before the pax. Of course you can also buy a mount plate and add that to the roof using the 23H.

RotoTrax were serious contenders
They're fine. There are a couple Youtube reviews at this point. They're more flexible and less stiff. If you need to bridge a lot probably not the right option. If you're just in it for traction, they're just fine. I like the flex, I think they'll last longer before plastic fatigue takes them out. Most everyone (including the head to head results from testing) agrees maxtrax are the best. If you're not going to get maxtrax for some other reason, these are as good an option as any.

Note that the orientation of the 'slot' is 90 deg from that of a 2 or 4 gal rotopax. To me this is a big miss on rotopax part. It makes it a more difficult stack, if you want to do that.

You can mount it with a basic cam buckle strap if you’re just looking to store it there on a trip. I don’t like the idea or complexity of permanently storing anything on the outside of the vehicle. I’ve used the attached method to secure kayaks. It’s solid. Easy cheap and quick too. Works w max trax, shovels, etc.

8F7CE67B-3436-468E-BD15-D7B51207EFFA.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom