Should I have kept my LX (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I wrecked my 2011 LX a couple weeks ago, and am now second guessing my decision to take a total loss payout. I haven’t been paid yet by my insurance company, but I doubt I have much chance of changing it. Based on the numbers below, do you think I made a smart decision? Prices have gone way up since I purchased it last fall, and I would need to add more cash just to replace with what I had. Thoughts?
Repair

FCB4352A-E2B1-47B7-B0B4-E046981F612E.jpeg

insurace payout if I kept it
AE3CBEB0-C74B-4056-959B-D2FADB2353EE.jpeg

total loss payout
5631F0C8-AEC2-4967-84C4-861329E3CA54.jpeg

if it was a rear collision, (im not joking) I would buy it back and make it into a 200 series UTE. a guy on IG did it and stated it cost him around 20k.

You'll have a hard time replacing it for ~$26k, but it's doable if you are buying a truck with similar age and ~150k+ miles. If you bought it back and had it fixed, it'll be worth near half of that with a salvage title, but if you aren't planning to sell it for a long time, then maybe that would be a good plan...

I think you made the right choice. $16k is a lot of repair work. Seems like you could get something similar for what they are offering. I just got a 2011 with 153k on it for $26k. Won't find it on here though, everyone on here wants a premium.

How many miles were on your LX? If you can support a higher value with data, I'd push for a higher payout, but I would never suggest buying a wrecked, salvage title vehicle for a laundry list of reasons - chief among them is resale value. Not only does a salvage title vehicle take an unbelievable hit on resale value and have complexity around titling/insurance/financing, the vast majority of buyers simply will not buy a salvage/rebuilt title vehicle full stop. My advice - get the best payout you possibly can and move on to a new vehicle and don't look back.

Did you ask USAA for the ACV comps? 24k for 11, sans other issues, seems low. You'll be within spitting distance of some clean 10s/11s that don't have a 16k repair bill on them, so I don't think it's the wrong choice.

Looks like the third stage of grief: Bargaining.

Truck had 203k miles, correct?

I would say your settlement is inline with the current market and in the grand scheme you came out alright.

Looks like the third stage of grief: Bargaining.
You are probably right. It’s made worse by the fact that my fiancé totaled her 911 last week. We are in the middle of selling my house, trying to close on a house 3 hours away and we have no car between us.

My LX had 203k on the clock, so the value wasn’t far off. The damage is to the front end, so... The insurance company did send me the comps they used. I suspect they were single day for sale vehicles as I couldn’t even find them the following day.

I’m in the unfortunate position of having to wait until I sell my house and finish closing on the new one before I can buy something. Ce la vie

You are probably right. It’s made worse by the fact that my fiancé totaled her 911 last week. We are in the middle of selling my house, trying to close on a house 3 hours away and we have no car between us.

My LX had 203k on the clock, so the value wasn’t far off. The damage is to the front end, so... The insurance company did send me the comps they used. I suspect they were single day for sale vehicles as I couldn’t even find them the following day.

I’m in the unfortunate position of having to wait until I sell my house and finish closing on the new one before I can buy something. Ce la vie
Wow…that is really unfortunate timing to all of this. Good luck man!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom