Should I be wary? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I saw some rust paint such like por-15 or rust bullet.
Are they work on that kind of bad rust?
If any one have experience, please inform me.
Thank you,

Oh, Min Seok

billmc said:
It's really very hard to assess the seriousness of the rust on that frame from the picture. The frame will look really ugly well before it's actually compromised. It may well be sound enough to last you the several years that you need. But you need to get uder there with some tools to really probe it to discover whether it's sound or not.

On the other hand, if it is sound, I still wouldn't pay more than $1800 and I do all my own work on my 62. If there's a lot of rust under there, you better check the brake and fuel lines, the xfer case vacuum lines, the tranny cooler lines, the rear heater tubes, etc. etc.

Bill
i gotta agree..the picture doesnt show anything that i have not seen on my 84, and i can whack the hell out of the area with a 3lb sledge, and SOME rust will fall off, but it isnt a "GONER" in any way i can see.
the cross member behind my back bumper is just about rotted through, but Im gonna weld a new pecie of channel before i install my iron pig bumper.
my feel about rust its keep it in check, the best you can. i installed a hot water spigot outside , and i spray the underside of the truck after every snowstorm.
oh, and i also scraped and por-15'd the @&@&@&@& outta' my frame this fall.
hammer
soon to have an Iron Pig Bumper and carrier, after it comes back from the powder-coater.
hammer

hammer1 said:
i gotta agree..the picture doesnt show anything that i have not seen on my 84, and i can whack the hell out of the area with a 3lb sledge, and SOME rust will fall off, but it isnt a "GONER" in any way i can see.
the cross member behind my back bumper is just about rotted through, but Im gonna weld a new pecie of channel before i install my iron pig bumper.
my feel about rust its keep it in check, the best you can. i installed a hot water spigot outside , and i spray the underside of the truck after every snowstorm.
oh, and i also scraped and por-15'd the @&@&@&@& outta' my frame this fall.
hammer
soon to have an Iron Pig Bumper and carrier, after it comes back from the powder-coater.
hammer

Phew! If I'm crazy, at least I'm not alone. I bet my rear frame looked worse than the one in the picture when I bought it 5 years ago. I also eventually knocked the scale off with a hammer and cold chisel and POR'd it. I keep an eye on it especially after the winter salt but it's still solid. I wheel and tow with this truck. It has a heavy Slee rear bumper and last year I was even rearended with no ill effect (can't say the same for the other vehicle). My only point is that if the poster wants a truck to have fun with for a couple of years, it's impossible to rule out based on that picture.

Bill

HOw thick is the rust? How muchof the frame looks like the pic? How good at frame repairs are you? I would keep looking for 3k. I understand the need for a "new" crusier but too much repair work my take the fun out of it.

I've had a few of these trucks, and unfortunately we up in the varied "rust belts" can't find trucks like the "nice blue one". Even mine, bought from the original owner here in NY that garaged constantly for 18 of its nearly 20-year life, has that rear end frame "blistering". It's like a smaller "C" channel riveted to a larger "C" channel. The combo of poor/NO factory undercoating, salt roads, and the properties of the rust demons over time will do this to all but the nice southwest trucks. My other '86 had MUCH worse rot in that area, and it drove SOLID as anything. My '85 had a hole clean THROUGH the rail next to the catalytic converter, and she ran solid and stout down the highway and off-road. If anyone has a problem like this, just "box" the frame at those areas, maybe replace those angle pieces at the rear frame corners, and you're golden. THESE TRUCKS ARE TOUGH!

HTH

Paws
TLCA# 3123
'86 FJ60 & '75 FJ40 (current)
other Cruisers through the revolving door:
'77 FJ40, '78 FJ40, '86 FJ60, '85 FJ60

were used to rust up here....... no biggie

spray it in oil... but if I was buying I would stay away. Also I would take out the channel at the back and clean it up, do the POR thing to slow it down. Spray oil in the frame regularly..

Oil leaks on the engine. if its a seep no biggie. More that a liter every couple tanks be wary. I use no amountable oil between oil changes and I have plenty of stains underneath.

As far as diff leaks go a little seep is no biggie, just check it often. Don't want to run it dry.

These aren't show cars guys.....you and your rust free stuff is silly. A little rust is like a badge of honour!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom