Shopping list for new springs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After searching, it's between two options; OME heavy kit or from MAF new Safari springs, Heckethorn shocks, greasable shackles/pins, bushings. Is there anything missing from the Safari spring list? I would go OME, but budget may not allow it. Something has to be done soon, my springs are really bad.

I contacted MAF and got no real feedback. I will be pulling a pop up camper and be loaded with gear. Also planning on building a new bumper for the rear with tire carrier and front bumper also, so I will probably get add-a-leafs too. If I can put together a good system for less, I'll do it. Just don't want to leave anything out.
Thanks.

Did some more searching on Safari springs and found mixed opinions. Price for the package is $920. Have yet to see ANY bad opinion of OME stuff, which would cost about $560 more. I don't want to buy something that will not last, maybe I'll jsut bite the bullet, find a side job, and go OME. And BTW heard back from MAF.

I'm holding out for the OME setup, I've read too many mixed reviews on all other springs other than Alcans. I'm ready to get the springs now but know it would be wiser to hold out till I can get the rest of the components and do the job right the first time. Damn I h8 waiting!!!:eek: :mad: :D

Last edited:
I have BDS springs in my truck. They've been there for about three years. In that time they have carried a very full truck from Vancouver, B.C., Canada to Central America and back TWICE, they have been in Central America on the poor roads here most of that time. The truck was so full last time and the roads bad enough that I actually busted all the studs from one of the rear wheels but the suspension rebounded back once the load was off.

My buddy at home put OME's on his '82 BJ60 about 2-3 years before me. In his opinion the OME were not worth the premium price tag.

My truck is still doing fine with the BDS springs in it along with poly bushings, greaseable shackles and greaseable spring pins.

Ryan S. said:
Did some more searching on Safari springs and found mixed opinions. Price for the package is $920. Have yet to see ANY bad opinion of OME stuff, which would cost about $560 more. I don't want to buy something that will not last, maybe I'll jsut bite the bullet, find a side job, and go OME. And BTW heard back from MAF.

You're not that far off price from an OME/Dakar system, which from personal experience and by all accounts, is well worth the extra $. I'd spring (no pun intended ;) ) for the OME/Dakar system if it was my $$. ARB's pricing on these systems has really become more competitive since shifting to the Dakars. Same spring, same warranty, different country of manufacture, and way better price. :D

Try: http://www.rocky-road.com/60series.html for some better pricing than what you've posted above.

-dogboy- '87 FJ60

2-3 yrs ago was pre-Dakar. Today that price difference would be half or less.

Yeah, I plan on buying soooo much stuff from rocky-road in the next month!!! I`m going for that, buy it all at once, then stick it on. More easy on the your nerves....

Thanks for all the info guys. I've 95% settled on OME's, the other 5% left for checking out BDS and Alcans. There are BDS dealers in Boise and Seattle, both within pick up distance for me. Worth a phone call to them at least.

I figured i'd warn you about heckethorn products. While i'm sure there are satisfied customers out there, i have had nothing but poor experiences with them. I ordered a lift, which they forgot to ship until about the 7th time i called. Then they forgot to send some parts. Then the lift completely f*$@ed up my truck and caused about $3000 worth of damage. They were complete a-holes about it. I would highly recommend that you reconsider your choice on their products. I had some many problems with them that I had their manager on speed dial. Not that he ever did anything for me.

jcoles said:
I figured i'd warn you about heckethorn products. While i'm sure there are satisfied customers out there, i have had nothing but poor experiences with them. I ordered a lift, which they forgot to ship until about the 7th time i called. Then they forgot to send some parts. Then the lift completely f*$@ed up my truck and caused about $3000 worth of damage. They were complete a-holes about it. I would highly recommend that you reconsider your choice on their products. I had some many problems with them that I had their manager on speed dial. Not that he ever did anything for me.

Thanks for that info. From the time I first saw the "Heckethorn" products I was skeptical, mostly because I have never seen them mentioned on the board until I got deep into searching lifts. However, your story is the first bad one I have read. Good, bad, or other, your story is another reason to go OME. In the end, the other lifts are only a few hundred cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom