Shock Dimensions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am getting closer on my project. Dana 60/14 Bolt/Buggy Leafs/Shackle Reversal. As far as shocks are concerned, I haven't even looked into this. How do you measure for shocks, I can fab up shock towers and crossmembers no problem. I don't know about shock lengths, what is standard, custom, etc. Do I need to measure how much flex it will have and then measure how much at idle etc.

What kind of long travels does everyone run. I could look at my buddies J*** but I don't want to study that thing.

Any help greatly appreciated. :cheers:

J.R.

Bilstein 5150's on mine, 14.3" stroke, mounted nearly verticle.

IMO, order 14"ish stroke shocks, modify the mounts to work. Expect about 30% uptravel, 70% downtravel.

RTI's don't max your travel either, plan to cross up the rig hard to get a true measurement.

and, see the excel shock spreadsheet linked in the tech section.

Shocks were the last thing fabbed on my junk. Took it out and got it fully twisted up (i.e. right front and left rear compressed), then measured from a fully compressed height on the shocks, and added 1" of fudge room.

Or, if you've got bump stops, compress that one tire (not the whole axle) to the stop, then measure, and leave a little room for bump stop compression.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom