Shifter/Transmission will not go into 1st/Low (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Yesterday I finally got to put my GX into 4 Lo and flex it a little to check for rubbing before we go to Ouray. I noticed that i was not able to manually shift transmission into the lo/1st position. I plan to take console apart today to check for obvious restrictions, but wanted to ask if there has been anyone else with this problem and what the solution was. Thanks!

Yesterday I finally got to put my GX into 4 Lo and flex it a little to check for rubbing before we go to Ouray. I noticed that i was not able to manually shift transmission into the lo/1st position. I plan to take console apart today to check for obvious restrictions, but wanted to ask if there has been anyone else with this problem and what the solution was. Thanks!
Mine won’t stay on 1st and goes back to 2nd immediately unless i hold it in 1st.

Here’s my notes from a year ago on the possible part
  • FLOOR SHIFTER ASSEMBLY 33550-60660 $500 new; $100 to $250 used. Discount Parts Monster

You tried neutral with both engine running and not? If not on a level surface and in park the drivetrain will be in a bind and won't shift.

Oh you can’t shift Transfer case into Lo? While car is on, Put transmission in neutral, then move transfer case from hi to lo. Once the transfer case engages, Then put transmission in gear like D or 2.

i always shift transfer case with transmission in neutral.

Sorry Guys, what I’m wanting to be able to do is downshift manually into the lowest transmission gear when descending a steep hill off road. Like @HomersCanyonero , it will move back to 2nd if I try to put it into first.
I took cover off to check for physical obstruction on the shifter and there is none.

Something is broken in the shift assembly that prevents the 1st gear to hold, but and I don’t know what. Replacing the entire shift assemly is a solution.

In the meantime, I push and hold the gear in place while off-roading but driving with one hand is sometimes a problem

Just a thought, but check to see if your 2nd gear start button (on dash, to right and below steering column) is engaged?

Negative. If 2nd start button is engaged, you get LED on dashboard.

Just want to follow up on this. We went to Colorado and did a few trails. (GX did awesome) What I discovered is when I move lever into L position, and then push forward, it goes into L every time. Not sure if this is by design or just a quark with mine. Anyway, I was able to use Low off road with no problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom