Severed fingers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

:hillbilly:I like these better:D

OK, smartasses!
I was cutting the outer skin off romex wire in a power box. Never found a way to keep fingers completely safe doing that, but I rarely cut one. Usually the razor is short so it can't do much damage. Just a matter of not paying enough attention. But who ever nips off flesh while paying enough attention?
I have had a lot of injuries doing work that is prone to them. Some heal better with less pain if patched up immediately. A doctor takes an hour or more to get to it. Duct tape is definitely taboo for this. Johnson's med tape is right.
I did a sloppy job patching this on the spot. It did the job but had to be redone. Take that to a doctor and he just gets mad. I have enough practise to be able to do it well. A doctor will cover the finger with so many bandages that the whole hand is useless. When I fix one, it is so comfortable that within an hour, I don't even notice it. And my fix-it jobs heal twice as fast. Three days, and mine are healed up. But this attitude is not for everybody.

All the suggestions are great. But my finger is fine, thank you!
Three days later, the pinky shows very little scarring, and is fully healed. Even my fingerprint is not disrupted. Damn, I was thinking about committing a crime! I'm foiled again!
Well, a life of crime, backed by finger injuries is not in my cards. I just heal too fast and too clean.
This is not my first rodeo. I have knocked off two other fingertips. I once had a very unsafe table saw. I cut off my left index fingertip on it. I had to pick up the blooded bit out of the sawdust bin, rinse it off, and tape it back on. I sold the saw very soon after that episode. Like immediately!
When Jill bought me a new saw with an autobrake for Christmas, I said,"Look, a new nail clipper!" She was not amused! But I was! I thought it was kinda funny! I'm slightly morbid about finger damage. Chit happens!
Another time, I crushed the tip of my right middle finger while working on a Honda. I really mashed it bad. I patched it up and went right to the doctor. He did a job on the finger that made my :flipoff2: look really good! I had a big white middle finger bandage! He saved my right middle finger. If not for him I would have had a shortened right :flipoff2: for life! Trimmed fingers are forever.

Last edited:
hey takes alot to fess up:eek: good job!! us welders occasionally pick up things that are too heavy! the conserned on looker says, "was that hot ?" i reply , " no it was heaver than it looked ":flipoff2:

Oh! Don't even start me on fabrication!
I have done a bit of that. I once was welding up some tubes for a guy in the direct summer sun. With the sunlight, I couldn't see that they were red hot. I picked one up...
It slid thru my hand like a wet highball glass. My skin melted like plastic, leaving strings hanging below. The whole inside of my left hand was third-degree burns. That left a mark! It also hurt a bit, for at least a few days! I haven't done that again. I learn quick!
I don't really have many nerves in my hands that still respond. Most of them are burned out.
I would suggest learning from others. Try to avoid picking up red-hot steel. It may be detrimental, or just mental! When you are welding, protect your fingers, you may need them to hold burgers and fries! I rarely use gloves, but I have a good idea of how to keep my hands safe. I've learned it the hard way.
I don't mind repairing my hands, but I would rather not! I have been there and done that. I got the tee shirt and used it for a rag. Since I semi-retired, I have rarely drawn blood. I like it better that way.

Last edited:
well i got to say done some crazy things with grinders ! wont even pick one up with out weld gloves on its just safer that way:cool: ive have been burned but not severe. now when youre workin hard whith your buisness partner the last thing you want to hear is ,"dood your hairs on fire".that will wake you up :eek:

well as long as were telling, got some blisters spinning a nut with the air hose :eek: its a distraction for sure done it a hundred times first time i got bit . the look on the 20 year old kids face priceless :p to elaborate on redneck mischief .get one 1/2-13 nut place in palm .take air hose, get nut to spin like a tire floating on a cushion of air when it sounds like a die grinder time to let go. IF YOU HAVE ANY COMMON SENSE YOU WILL NOT DO THIS :hillbilly: the one that gave me the blister made contact with 7 sufaces ,the ceiling twice in a bout 1.5 sec .like i said to see the kid steppin and fetchin was great:eek::hillbilly::beer:

Weldit post above is typical. Hand damage happens so fast that you hardly notice until it is too late. It doesn't hurt for a while after. You get a 5-10 minute break before the shock passes. Then the pain sets in. You can fix it during that time, or you can wait for a painful hour (or more) for the doc to fix it.
Rob saw my pinky finger last weekend. It didn't look like a severed tip at all. It just looks like a little cut. It is mostly healed. There is damage to the skin on the fingertip, and peeling skin. That's all.
This is #4 for me. Every one was the result of something that I should not have done, or not paying attention. But every one would have resulted in a lost fingertip if I had waited for a doc to sew it back on. I do not wait. Every minute counts. If I really screw up and cut something off, I put it back ASAP!
I will use any kind of tape that is available to put it back before the shock is over. If the finger works, and the bones are functional, I will tape it back on. Then I see the doctor. If he gets mad, so be it! At least my finger is still there! If I wait for him to sew it back, it may never heal, and if it does, the nerves would not work. All of my fingers work just fine.
I am determined to never cut any fingers again. But I know that this is a hollow promise. Chit happens. At least I know how to fix them.

I saw the result. I worked on Rob's hut all day with my mom. She just turned 70. She worked with us on the roof all day long. She just will not stop! She is a nurse. She saw nothing broken on my hand. Rob also looked at it. My little finger shows no sign of having been cut off.
Yes, my mom worked on the roof all day with Rob and I! We got the work done. That is what we do in our family! We work on the hut!
My finger shows no sign of having been cut. But I can feel it. There is a distinct line where the nerves feel different. This is apparent in several of my fingers. It is normal. Most of my fingertips feel different from the rest of my hands. This is normal. Most of my fingertips are without real reactions. They are not normal. Most of the normal nerve paths have been cut off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom