SETTC at AOP, Anyone going? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was wondering if anyone here was going to attend this years SETTC event? It's being held at Adventure Offroad Park (AOP) on Sept 26, 27, and 28th. Those who do not know what SETTC is, it's the South East Tough Truck Competition https://www.facebook.com/setoughtruck. It is going to be a cool event that is based on the Four Wheeler magazine Top Truck Challenge. It is promoted/ran by some of my friends from FL. I will be going to watch the event and spend the weekend catching up some old friends. If anyone from here is going I will be leaving ATL Fri around noon and will either be in my Tundra or my wife's G Wagen. There park may have some trails open for wheeling.

Steven

hmmmm, could be interesting. Usually try to avoid events at parks, cuts into wheeling with all the folks bein around but I'ma itchin' to get out. Keepin' my eye in the "official" Sept ride too just to see what happens.

I've never been to a big event like this and I'm only going because a few of my old wheeling friends from FL are running the event. I haven't have a chance wheel with anyone here yet. Between work and family time there is hardly any time for wheeling or working on 4Runner.

AOP is a great park, has a little something for everyone. guessing their schedule is pretty much set in stone?

I talked with my friend and he said if the trail isnt marked for the course then it should be free to wheel. I am really considering driving G Wagon and get some light wheeling in between events.

can't commit till week of but certainly under consideration. Mobs of people leads to mobs of trail rigs which leads to traffic jams on trails, can't be havin' that.

we usually hit the pizza joint in S Pittsburgh Fri night for dinner but rumor is you'd better keep an eye out for the POPO headed back to the park if you been a drinkin' in town.

Thanks for the heads up on the pizza place, my buddies are staying at a hotel in town. I don't think that weekend would be any good for any wheeling as I can foresee the trail-jams now. There are a few things that I need to do to the G Wagon if I'm going to drive it up there, like new tires.

If you have never been, you won't be disapointed---Warning rocks will fly! Some large enough to kill ya! Not a good event for small fry but you be the Judge of that ---Plenty will be running around. Its Hammer Down with Large amounts of Horsepower!!!

I will be helping with the event now, so sure what I'll be doing but I volunteered to help in anyway that I could. I'm sure it's going to fun, my small fry doesn't enjoy wheeling anymore so the family will not be attending.

I still plan on driving the G wagon and trying to get some light wheeling in. Had to order some parts for the diff locks, it's a hydraulic actuated system and the prior owner never used them. Also ordering some new tires, stepping up from the 215/85R16 to a slightly wider/taller 235/85R16.

Saw this pic posted by SETTC as the trail they're running. Hey Sid-- would bet ya this is Trail 71 which we tried in June but was too slick after the rain, in fact I have gopro footage of it. It's good trail for sure.

Kinda makes me wish i were going but I'd wanna run this trail and wouldn't be able to without declaring my truck a SETT - yeah right! :flipoff2:

10649626_854713481208048_2943196923276082283_n.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah I was standing right in front of that area with the cone. It was turned into more drama then it should have been. The guys running the event did mess up with a bad call but in their defense they did everything they to make it right. The couple of racers refused to accept their apologies and were ready to leave before the guys running decided shut the event down and split the money pot evenly between all racers and held drawings for the sponsor prizes. In the end all seemed to be help and most of the racers stayed and we all went wheeling Sat afternoon/evening.

Minus the drama it was a good weekend, I didn't take G Wagon on an crazy trails but I did do some fairly hard trails for a rig on 32"s and no protection. The Irok ND's are freaking awesome if anyone has ever considered them, cheap too. This was my first time at AOP and I will going back, the trails vary from crazy hard to easy/moderate. The showers and bathrooms were new and very clean, it's the best park I've been too.

Here's a few pics from this weekend, I did follow those crawlers on a few trails. I am waiting for my friend to send me a few pics of the G Wagon on the way to trail 69, I made it about halfway to it before I decided I was risking some major sheet metal damage.

10703620_10204218395116558_4796747916238099734_n.jpg

68949_10204222418097130_4699626476736609691_n.jpg

10616384_10204222418057129_2074741179234967963_n.jpg

10320461_10204225689178905_8818469217935835866_n.jpg

1601130_10204225689138904_8794520859417454341_n.jpg

1385897_10204224529669918_384357767352054391_n.jpg

10351650_10204224118979651_3780555663636569636_n.jpg

10436084_10204222418017128_2690994819541320181_n.jpg

What.... sounds like a bunch of big babies to me. I have no idea what happened, but if I tried to apologize and they acted like you are describing I'da told them to get their $h!t and git! There is no need for grown men and women to act a fool, and that really only furthers my thoughts that most of the guys running those buggies are tools.

Cool pics of the G-wagon. Looks like you had a great weekend.

Yeah - Cool wagon, bring it to the annual in a few weeks. Don't think I'd have the gonads to wheel that thing too hard.

Before this thread had no real knowledge of SETTC other than it's existence. I was kinda hoping it was gonna consist more of built stock(ish) looking rigs instead of just another buggy race. Goes to show what I know.

Looks like there's thread goin' on hardline about it. I weren't there so I dunno either and have absolutely no care at all, but... hate seeing a bunch of guys griping an crying over what is supposed to be FUN and then somehow gets all outta whack. In fact, kinda reminds me of another useless conversation on here recently... but I digress.

Glad to hear they owned up and even tried to make it right but once done some folks just aint gonna have it I guess.

All said, here's the video. I aint judgin' and aint addin' to the already silly debate but just for the sake of it:

Last edited:
The video does show the truth and I was there for both meetings, right after the racers complained about the cone the guy talking and a few of the other event organizers watched the video footage. They reversed the decision and went each racer to apologize but some were still butt hurt and wouldn't accept. That evening all but a couple of racers where riding the trails and having a good time together. I watched the guy (Rodney) in the flame jeep skin buggy get up trail 69 at night, it was very impression. He is paralyzed and the throttle is hand controlled, the rear steer controls is also on the hand throttle.

The drama pot is being stirred mostly by people who weren't there or who were already pissed they moved the event from Morris MTN to AOP.

I went to see and wheel with some old friends, I remember when SETTC first began it was mostly full body trail rigs. I would love to see a budget built rig comp, like the "Real Truck Challenge". Who knows what the future holds for this event, I am hoping it continue and from what I've heard from my friends they do plan having another SETTC next 2015.

Well said and agreed on all points. Hope they do run in 2015 with a more full body rig kinda twist to it, seems AOP is getting a huge # of buggy races and frankly gettin' a little tired of hearin' about em.

should've joined us for Chocco last wkend, pretty close to where you're at and we almost always have an open seat... that is, assuming the G Wagon don't wanna see some of the more painful trails.

Didn't watch the video. Don't care to. Buggies are cool, but I hate seeing them run on the same trails as the rest of the off road folks. They have destroyed GMP, but that isn't all their fault, poor water management there hasn't helped, but ripping around in 2wd on the easy trails is just not cool. If the buggies are running AOP in the same manner it won't be long before it sees the same fate.

Sounds good, I do want to start wheeling more and plan on working on the 4Runner very soon. I do a short list of repairs I need to make on the G Wagon, the only ones from this weekend is a bad alternator and blown steering stabilizer but doesn't seem to really need it.

I hope they do reset and go back to full body and street legal 4wds. The buggies are cool but I don't see the skill in the point and shot style wheeling, yeah its funny to watch.

The video that no one is showing is the racer who almost hit one the event's staff who was taking time. The racer's buggy bounced up and sideways on the course, he just kept the throttle pinned and almost ran her over. In the video that I took of it it looks like his wheel hit her right before hit a tree watch stopped his buggy from really running her over. She was very lucky, the event's medical person checked her and said it like her kidney was swelling so they rushed her to the hospital. She checked out okay with just bruises but it could have been a lot worst. This is what the racers should have worried about, not some stupid cone and a poor call on points. There were only racer who asked how she was doing and it wasn't the guy driving the buggy that caused it. That racer actual was upset that he was DNF for crossing the red tape, he wouldn't even watch the video.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom