Seeking opinions - 70s Series Compatible Lift Kits: Dobson v Ironman (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been doing a little research into lifting my 70s series. It looks like I have basically 2 options for lift kits, either the Dobson or Ironman. Is there a strong preference in either way? Is the foam cell worth the extra price for both models? I’m probably not going to be doing actual overlanding in this thing, the lift would be mostly just cosmetic/aesthetic.

Attached is a picture of my rig. Currently sits on 265 70r16 tires. From what I can tell it’s already with some sort of aftermarket kit because it does sit up a little higher than a fully stock model but I am not really sure, it could just be tire size. I have attached pictures of the wheel area to show there does seem to be some room to stuff larger tires in there but I don’t know if it’s enough to put 33’s like I want.
955FA6AC-7C59-4711-8377-3A71CAA409F6.jpeg
C401C861-9DF5-4DBA-BA3C-A868EDA1D9C2.jpeg
048AC656-2506-4242-AFFF-93D461365FFD.jpeg
00549333-BC66-4802-9B74-AB5AD9235DF3.jpeg

That's definitely aftermarket - mine had the original TEMS/Tokico shocks that were all black, but the size of the tire is probably effecting the height as well. On your options, I've had the newer 2" Ironman Foamcell kit for a little over a year now and am really happy with them. The ride is night and day over OEM (not surprising) and handles everything from smoothing out rutted backroads at speed to maintaining stiffness and responsiveness on highway and surface street driving.

My impression is that Ironman did not have particularly good product or quality control in the past, so developed a reputation with folks who have had LC's for a while, but that they've changed ownership and practices more recently that seem to have turned things around. I would just keep an eye out for sales as they not-infrequently do 25% off deals. All that said, it sounds like most folks really like their Dobinsons and OME set ups, I just can't compare.

Yep, I just put an Ironman kit on mine and it sits about the same height as yours. 33's will fit. Seems 285 70 17 or similar size is the way to go. I have heard the same thing, Ironman was known as the budget brand in Aus in the past but has come a long way since then. I have purchased 2 sets of foam cell suspension kits from them now among other products and have been very happy with their customer service and products. The Dobinsons kit does come with sway bar extensions for their larger lift. The Ironman kit does not. Dobinsons was almost $1000 more when I compared even with Ironmans foam cell shocks but I did find you can purchase the sway bar extensions seperately on ebay or from Dobinsons direct. IMO, you can't go wrong either way. Hard to say how they compare with each other and hard not to think the technology is similar if not the same on the foam cell with both brands. All that said, looks like you are good to go as is unless something is not right?

I liked how dobinsons had their act together with ordering online for my 1988 hj75 troopy. Build your own kit, don't have to buy what you don't need. They have fair prices and quality is good.
Including ferrule nuts to protect greaseable shackle nipples as common practice is an obvious little advantage they have over terrain tamer to me. Not an issue with coil springs for you though. Dobinsons have also been helpful in advice over the phone and email.

I am under the impression dobinsons manufacture here in Oz, if that is the case, quality of steel and finished product should be pretty good.
I am also under the impression terraintamer have the suspension castings made in pakistan (someone correct me if wrong please). Whilst Pakistan does have an ancient history of metal work, I do not have full confidence in quality control from pakistan, unless tt keeps a close eye on it, in which they would. Overall, terrain tamer have good stuff, japanese bearings, and the founder is a good bloke and does good community charity work.

I can well imagine the world of manufacturing is a constant challenge to both out price your rival without reducing quality. Very fast moving target, would be even more difficult with covid. Either way, all prices are going to go up and they are.

I have not had any experience with ironman besides watching a pretty girl plug them on some 4wd show. I do recall not liking that I had to buy stuff I did not need in their kits on their website.

I went with Dobinson on my LJ77. Very happy with the result and ride.

10531.jpeg
10598.jpeg

I liked how dobinsons had their act together with ordering online for my 1988 hj75 troopy. Build your own kit, don't have to buy what you don't need. They have fair prices and quality is good.
Including ferrule nuts to protect greaseable shackle nipples as common practice is an obvious little advantage they have over terrain tamer to me. Not an issue with coil springs for you though. Dobinsons have also been helpful in advice over the phone and email.

I am under the impression dobinsons manufacture here in Oz, if that is the case, quality of steel and finished product should be pretty good.
I am also under the impression terraintamer have the suspension castings made in pakistan (someone correct me if wrong please). Whilst Pakistan does have an ancient history of metal work, I do not have full confidence in quality control from pakistan, unless tt keeps a close eye on it, in which they would. Overall, terrain tamer have good stuff, japanese bearings, and the founder is a good bloke and does good community charity work.

I can well imagine the world of manufacturing is a constant challenge to both out price your rival without reducing quality. Very fast moving target, would be even more difficult with covid. Either way, all prices are going to go up and they are.

I have not had any experience with ironman besides watching a pretty girl plug them on some 4wd show. I do recall not liking that I had to buy stuff I did not need in their kits on their website.
Maybe Ironman is different in AUS, but the US site lets you buy individual components or the full kit. Pricing is slightly better on the kit. I really don't think you can go wrong either way honestly.

Neither one is really designed all that great, they are both basic springs with more lift.

In my time with the 70 series I have discovered there isn't a GOOD suspension option without going custom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom