Sedona, Arizona (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.lentelconstruction.com
I am planning a drive down to Phoenix for my kid's baseball tournament. I decided to post on the Copper State Cruisers forum to get some info regarding some wheeling in Sedona. They have been super helpful and I may even meet up with a few members in Sedona on March 20 to wheel. Can I buy some club stickers or something Coastal Cruiser oriented to bring down and give to the guys?

Reactions: kim
When are you headed down? I just spent a week north of Phoenix testing for certification at the International Four Wheel Drive Training Association event.

Going to leave on March 15 after the kids are finished school. Hope to be in Sedona on March 20 to meet up with a couple of Copper State Cruisers. Heading down through Salt Lake City and the Grand Canyon. In Phoenix from the 21st to the 24th and then to California.

Leaving on March 15 and will be in Sedona the evening of the 19th. Gives a full day to explore with some Copper State Cruisers. Going through Salt Lake City and the Grand Canyon on the way. 4 days in Phoenix and then on to California. Gonna be a big fuel bill with 4:88s

Make sure you check GasBuddy along the way

Make sure you check GasBuddy along the way

Good call. The prices seem to be different from station to station down there. Our gas companies wouldn't be guilty of collusion though would they.

When are you headed down? I just spent a week north of Phoenix testing for certification at the International Four Wheel Drive Training Association event.

No post with photos Kim?

Well, being the idiot I am, I completely forgot to take pics being engrossed in testing.

As for club stickers, sure, I can set you up with a bunch. No cost for those. Should we try MUD mail or are you going to be in Abby sometime or at a future meeting? I'll be coming through Ladner again from the ferry on a future trip from the island, which may work too but it would be an evening meet up.

:beer:

As for club stickers, sure, I can set you up with a bunch. No cost for those. Should we try MUD mail or are you going to be in Abby sometime or at a future meeting? I'll be coming through Ladner again from the ferry on a future trip from the island, which may work too but it would be an evening meet up.

:beer:

Is the next meeting Feb 14? If so, meeting up when you make a ferry return might be best.

Yep, it's the traditional Valentine's Day meeting. It's our strongest turnout! :)

Reactions: kim
Might see you on the road Greg. Taking the kids down to Utah and Arizona again for a few weeks around spring break. Not sure if we'll get to Sedona. Taking the dodge again so wont be doing any difficult trails but still plan some backcountry exploring.

1DSC_0561.JPG

2DSC_0075.JPG

3DSC_0879a.JPG

Might see you on the road Greg. Taking the kids down to Utah and Arizona again for a few weeks around spring break. Not sure if we'll get to Sedona. Taking the dodge again so wont be doing any difficult trails but still plan some backcountry exploring.

Apparently the North Rim will be closed but I've received some insider info on some lower altitude back roads that aren't as touristy. Will probably be checking that out as well. Your pics are getting me more excited about the trip. I'm sure if we are on the same route you'll blow by me on the pavement.

Yep, it's the traditional Valentine's Day meeting. It's our strongest turnout! :)

I may make it. We are on our 22nd year of marriage so we've learned a long time ago it's easier and cheaper to do Valentine's on a night other than the 14th.

Apparently the North Rim will be closed but I've received some insider info on some lower altitude back roads that aren't as touristy. Will probably be checking that out as well. Your pics are getting me more excited about the trip. I'm sure if we are on the same route you'll blow by me on the pavement.

So I just looked at your thread in the CSC forum. Regarding Grand Canyon, yes north rim the road was blocked off right at the highway junction. A few barriers and road closed signs but snow still piled up beyond. As the CSC guys said it is high up on the plateau so no access. But as they also suggested the area to the west looks really interesting and gets you to a few really great overlooks in that Parashant national monument. some are a long drive in.

As you were thinking we also based out of Kanab for a couple nights. The girls wanted hotel after a week in the desert. It was also busy and we had to try a few places before finding a room. From there did a day trip in Zion, which was good, but not really aligned with the rest of what we were doing. Never did that antelope canyon. But I'd absolutely recommend checking out some slot canyons somewhere. It is a fair bit of driving from Kanab to south rim so be prepared that it takes up a good chunk of the day. On our way to south rim stopped at marble canyon mid-day. Warm and welcome dip of the feet in the cold clear river. Didn't feel we needed more than a couple hours rest there though, IMO. Accessed the GC park from the east gate in the late day and saw the canyon at sunset. very nice. That third pic above is a somewhat stealth camping spot by park boundary. If you were camping I'd recommend it. Be prepared that even in march the place is super busy getting to the two main parking areas of the rim. The main crowd stays close to the parking lots. luck of the draw on weather, if its cloudy you wont see much. If its clear, park and go for a walk.

My kids are younger than yours but they enjoyed the trip so much we are planning to go again. Last trip was a loop of capitol reef - grand staircase escalante - hole in the rock road - Bryce canyon - south to the hwy by paria, zion, grand canyon, monument valley and valley of the gods, bears ears then headed home. Covered a lot, saw a lot, but missed a lot. want to spend more time from moab to the southeast corner of Utah this time, then some more of Arizona.

Anyways enjoy your trip planning and your trip. There is so much to see there it is hard to go too far wrong.

Thanks Martin. Some good info there. We plan on exploring Utah with the travel trailer one day. This will be the 2nd time we've driven right near Bryce and Zion without seeing them (1st time was a drive to Belize). As we have a schedule to be in Phoenix by the Thursday morning we will be limited with time. Our main points of interest are the Grand Canyon and Sedona. Hopefully we can make time to hit the more adventurous less traveled areas a little bit but I have a feeling we will most likely end up where the crowds go :-(

We camped in the sites adjacent to south rim. Having been to both north and south, I'd go south with family

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom