Security Camera System (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Usually yes, but if you're trying to be covert (catch a MF messin with your cruiser) than IR emitter cameras are a dead giveaway. In that case use a high end camera, something using Sony Super HAD hardware. They are very light sensitive and clear. But only for short to medium distances, otherwise have a security light to help out.

Thanks a lot for providing information on what i wrote in order to gop for buying cameras with IR Vision. Well done....

Yes ir cameras are more obvious, but that might be enough to send a thief somewhere else. So pros and cons

Reviving an 8 year old thread to get some current info as I'm looking for a 4 camera wireless system to add to my house. Research suggests the Arlo Pro 2. Not cheap, but seems like quality is decent as is battery life in the cameras as well as their app, free 7 day cloud storage for up to 5 cameras and usb ports to add your own storage capacity. Arlo Ultra is brand new with higher 4k resolution. You loose the free limited cloud storage and usb ports, but it has a micro sd slot you can use. Supposed better battery life than the Pro 2.

Last edited:
I put an arlo 2 in recently at my house through my security guy. You can also buy the system on Amazon and hook it up yourself if you have wifi. Its actually pretty easy to set up. The cameras battery has great lifespan so far. I charged them once in approximately 2 months after installing them. I am still playing with my settings but they are still pretty sensitive actually annoying sometimes as a leaf blows by and it sets them off. There is a few second delay on my cameras before they start recording so sometimes looking back at the footage you can not see what set it off. The night footage is only close range but is decent. The app works good for me. You can also buy add on cameras and other accessories for your system in the future if you want. Easy to add on in the app. There is door bell cameras too. I believe I can add up to five cameras with my arlo system. There are also different mounting options available out there as well. A good system overall IMO.

I put an arlo 2 in recently at my house through my security guy. You can also buy the system on Amazon and hook it up yourself if you have wifi. Its actually pretty easy to set up. The cameras battery has great lifespan so far. I charged them once in approximately 2 months after installing them. I am still playing with my settings but they are still pretty sensitive actually annoying sometimes as a leaf blows by and it sets them off. There is a few second delay on my cameras before they start recording so sometimes looking back at the footage you can not see what set it off. The night footage is only close range but is decent. The app works good for me. You can also buy add on cameras and other accessories for your system in the future if you want. Easy to add on in the app. There is door bell cameras too. I believe I can add up to five cameras with my arlo system. There are also different mounting options available out there as well. A good system overall IMO.
Thanks for the details. Costco has a killer deal right now on the Arlo Pro 2 at $600. Five cameras and charging station. I do want to look into the doorbell also. Now to find time to mount cameras and set it up.

Due to some recent neighborhood robberies I am looking for advice on a security camera system for the exterior of our house, barn and driveway. I'd like at least four cameras but eight would be better. I have an old HP laptop with 2GB of RAM that I can use as a controller or I can buy a complete system with hard drive etc. Hoping to spend no more than $600.00 for the system and I will install myself.

I plan to mount one camera on the house facing the barn and one on the barn facing the house which are about 100 feet apart and I'd like another one pointed at the street which is also about 100 feet out so that is the max visible distance required but more is not a problem. Night vision cameras could be nice in at least two of the locations.

I have no idea what to look for and what brands, prices etc. so any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
you can't just go out and buy a camera and pointed at some distance and expect the footage to be used in prosecution if the image is so pixelated that the thief can't be prosecuted. You have to size up the distance and the aperture to determine the pixel resolution in order to identify the face of the thief. There's some real math calculated to determine the hard drive size and how much hard drive space you want to store the video image. I would probably go to Facebook enjoying a CCTV forum.

Yes ir cameras are more obvious, but that might be enough to send a thief somewhere else. So pros and cons
if you can put a bag over his head and he cannot be prosecuted. if the cameras are not monitored he won't care if there's cameras or not he'll steal or break in

Cameras dont stop theft the DVR only documents it. The smart way...and the tech is not yet avaliable is Computer Visio Ai. Real artificial intelegence. It can detect people, dogs and wild life. Its just so new you will rarely see the tech in the cctv industry. I am learning Computer Vision ai ..its languae is python and it can detect and use confidence boxes to identify wild life, if a person is wearing a mask or not, used to drive te tesla, used in factories "it can detect bad grapes and while the grapes are in a free fall, the processor sees the bad grape in its frame then shoots a air flow stream kicking it onto a shoot and into the bad grape barrel. Ai can spot a person outside and ID if it is wearing a hoodie "not yet created" and wearing a mask "created but code is beta" and its output could notify the owner. It will ignore other people if not wearing hoodie or mask.

Thanks for the details. Costco has a killer deal right now on the Arlo Pro 2 at $600. Five cameras and charging station. I do want to look into the doorbell also. Now to find time to mount cameras and set it up.
Just remember that if the camera can't detect the details of the face then it's a non prosecutable case. you need to determine the distance away from the camera where you want to record and then ask in a CCTV Discussion Group what pixel camera and how large of a hard drive is required

I'm sure others have said enough I actually have the Bible designing CCTV systems I just got to find out where it is. So there's several factors that you have to consider. One, the face must be made out by the camera if the police officer can't see the face or the face is very blurry generally it's a non prosecutable crime. So the resolution has to be high enough that the face of the suspect can be identified. Once you have the resolution oh, then you got to calculate the hard drive space. Resolution X the amount of minutes or hours that motion is recorded on the camera determines Hardware space. If you intend to see the camera remotely you also have to calculate the bandwidth of wan connection. If I can remember from Cisco Academy 40% of a packet yes for traffic routing of the packet. I'd have to look it up but I think 60% is data. So that has to be considered for the remote access. I don't think it would be much of an issue but it depends how far your garage is away from the local exchange carrier.

I'm in the same boat, looking at outdoor camera system. I live in a house where the bad guys would have hours/days to clean me out. Dogs are good security but they travel with me on trips so my house is a bit vulnerable while I'm away. A new neighbor just bought the 10acres across from my property but decided to build 80' from my house :bang: Psychologically, I think the new folks, for some reason, making me lock up the house, cars, etc. They're prolly a nice family with young kids but my paranoia shot up, after living w/o any neighbors for 15 years.

Anyway, i'm looking for a system that uses powered via brick or PoE for outdoor cameras. I'm going to put them on the perimeter of the house, on all four sides, way up at the eve and don't want to deal with batteries/recharging/etc..

Anyone has any experience with this company by any chance? Reolink RLC-410W - 4MP Wireless Dual-Band WiFi Security Camera - https://reolink.com/product/rlc-410w/

A new neighbor just bought the 10acres across from my property but decided to build 80' from my house :bang:

Why do people do that? Can't figure it out, but I guess they are just still in the city mentality. Happened to us at our last place (only 5 acres), one of the big reasons we bought a larger piece of land and moved there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom