Scold me... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I wonder if that white plug fits the back of the factory radio and is designed to allow the factory radio to bypass the factory amp. Where did you get the plug from?

it wont fit in the back of the factory radio either. the plugs in both HU's are square, not flat, so i really don't know what the deal is.

I got the harness at circuit city, and it was the only one they (they, being Metra) offered for Toyota that fits and would even have a chance at hooking up correctly. (all of the other ones were for JVC, Jensen, and eclipse.)

I suppose i could cut the wires and hook them up but i really don't feel like testing it out on a $20 product only to find out it dosent work right, and killing my chance to return it if another one is available.

I've looked, and i can't seem to find a harness for Toyota's that will hook up to kenwood players.

Poop.

is this what I'm looking for?

kenwoodhookup.jpg

Is this the one you got?

From the looks of it, you need to get a Metra radio harness too... Seems a bit complicated for something that should be simple? :confused:

Last edited:
Seriously that's not that hard. First of all just so you know your amp bypass is already done. That harness that you see in your dash from the pics is a 1 brand harness meaning that they have the toyota plugs on one side and the other plugs go into one harness. What you have to do is just cut the harness that used to go into your old stereo that you see in your dash. Also, use butt connectors for the fast way or use heat shrink and solder for the slow and long lasting way. Any way, if you have questions just pm me. I can walk you through the whole process. I have managed a car audio shop for the last 7 years and worked in the industry for about 10. Let me know if you have any questions.

I forgot to add. Look at the pic, the wire colors are right there in front of you. The harness in the pic that is sticking out of your dash is the one you cut off and attach your wires to there. All are color coded so you can't mess that up. If you go to an audio shop and get a toyota wire harness, all they will give you are those two ends to the back of the one you are cutting off. Seriously, it's the same thing you have in your dash already. So put that 14 bucks back in your pocket and send me a beer in the mail and we'll call it a day.

idont think i'm going to get another harness, that would just be another 10 bucks down the tube plus the $5 for shipping.

I should have looked harder (done a little more research) and picked one of these up for an extra $10. would have saved me a lot of trouble.

kenwoodhookup.jpg

i could still send back the metra harness to CC for another $5, get back my $20, spend an additional $16 for the above harness, and turn what could have been a $36 item into a $46 item.

orrr i could just say 'screw it,' and snip off that plastic piece and crimp the wires together for the inital $25. probably going to be a jumbled mess, but live and learn i guess.

I'll cross my fingers. *sigh*

orrr i could just say 'screw it,' and snip off that plastic piece and crimp the wires together for the inital $25. probably going to be a jumbled mess, but live and learn i guess.

I'll cross my fingers. *sigh*

X2. You have the part, it's already color-coded, I'd go ahead and snip it. No use in spending more $$ for another one.

Just make sure you don't connect the blue wire.:hillbilly:

First of all don't worry about cutting that harness. A word of advice, don't ever cut a fiber optic wire. Other than that, if you ever cut an electrical wire, you can always put it back together; fiber optic you can't (newer benz). With your wiring it is VERY simple. Believe me. Another thing just to keep in mind any time you do ANY electrical work on your car, DO NOT cut more than one wire at one time. Because if you cut two or three wires simultanously, your cutter will cause a short in the system. So you will end up putting a new stereo in CORRECTLY but won't turn on because you blew a fuse and end up taking more out of your time. PM me if you need help, i would be happy to help you over the phone should you need any.

Clarification needed here:

I just did my pioneer unit with a metra toyota harness...all prettied up with solder and heatshrink. It sounds ten times better but am I currently bypassing the stock amp?

Clarification needed here:

I just did my pioneer unit with a metra toyota harness...all prettied up with solder and heatshrink. It sounds ten times better but am I currently bypassing the stock amp?

Yes you are currently bypassing the amp. If you didn't bypass, there would be no sound but the unit would turn on.:)

cool, i knew i was kickass! thanks

Ignore me if this has already been covered.

The harness you bought PIGGY, is a universal harness with a toyota end on it. Just cut it and match the wires up, solder, tape, crimps w/e you want to do.... BUT NO TWIST CAPS....

The blue wires are PWR ANT. and or Pre-AMP Wire. or there will be two (ONE OF EACH).

The factory amp if i recall correctly, (plz excuse my lack of memory) will run off an aftermarket headunit. You have to hook up the BLUE (pre-amp) wire to make it work. (if you use the pwr ant. wire it will only come on when you have the radio playing) (when you switch to CD it will shut off). Anyways the pre-amp wire is what tells the factory amp to turn on.

You can run the aftermarket radio into the factory amp (if i recall) it will just get loud REAL quick with your volume level low.

I believe someone posted a link to others showing there installs step by step. I hope I helped if not well :doh:.

Sorry I would get into more detail but I am not a very patient person with audio video systems. I installed them for toooooo many years (8yrs to be exact), and just seems quicker for me to do it then to type it, so I get frustrated easily. (I type with 3 fingers... peck......peck.....peck.....peck)

Hopefully I helped and didn't just burn up board space.
If you need real time help feel free to pm me and I will give you my number and maybe I can talk you through it.

Jeremy

The Levinson Systems are amazingly good. Most new cars now come with great sound systems. All fo the cars I own have upgraded factory system featuring DVD Audio Playback and DTS Surround capability.

The ELS System in the 2006 Acura TL, the JBL System in my daughter's 2007 RAV-4, the JBL System in my 2006 Land Cruiser, and the "dare I say it" Bose system (I hate Bose) on the Infiniti M45 all sound very good.

I am not sure what they put in the 80 Series Lexus I have but it is OK...nowhere near as good as the others....but good enough. I don't need to change it that's for sure.

Rich

Former 2006 Acura TL ELS got me collecting DVD A. Sold it; alas Acura stopped putting DVDA player in all future models despite ELS promotions. Pleased to find my 2009 Lexus GX w ML 5.1 sound plays my collection and w even a better interior cabin sound stage!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom