School Bus (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
damn, and there I was stoked about the 4x4 option on an ex firefighting bus...

Thanks for the heads up

Having seen how the temp emergency-hire drivers treat those things, and heard the radio traffic about getting wreckers in to haul them out, I couldn't not warn ya.

You should be able to find 4x buses anywhere there are mountains...

I went the short bus route, yet to haul the 40 with it, but life and 2 kids are taking up time.

bought it cheap, put in a new trans.

F 350 platform. 351 W Gasser motor. Michigan winters have taken a toll though. Very slow indeed.

But hauls 12' sections of drywall like nobodies business.

I would call it the mercy flush.

One bed that folds flat to like a twin size, Pimp Tint. you know how it goes.
IMG_2356.JPG
1128073.JPG
1128072.JPG

I went the short bus route, yet to haul the 40 with it, but life and 2 kids are taking up time.

bought it cheap, put in a new trans.

F 350 platform. 351 W Gasser motor. Michigan winters have taken a toll though. Very slow indeed.

But hauls 12' sections of drywall like nobodies business.

I would call it the mercy flush.

One bed that folds flat to like a twin size, Pimp Tint. you know how it goes.

Very nice, I like it!
I want to test my bus to see it will comfortably pull my 62 on my car hauler. I have that idea in my back pocket for GSMTR next month but not sure about getting up all those mountains pulling 4.5 tons of meat!! I would like to make it work cuz the bus sure is cozy for camping.

Gappy,

I'm sure your bus will be able to do the deed; it'll just be a slow go. You'll be hanging out in the slow lane most of the time.

I've done similar with both a GMC 7000 stake body and my current GMC 3500 cube van (like zetasig's shortbus only with a 14' box). The GMC 7000 had a top speed of a little over 60 on flat ground (366 gas motor with 5sp trans/2sp rear) and gulped fuel 5 mpg. Sold it after one trip. The cube van will roll the speed limit towing a 40 or 60 on a dolly and slow to 45 uphill in PA. Got a consistant 10-11 mpg outa the 350 TBI motor.

Biggest gripe I have is how people would cut in front of the truck. Seems like folks don't realize how heavy either of the trucks are and how big a dent I'd put in their car with it if I hit them after they stopped short in front of me.

The only other issue you might have is the location of the trailer hitch and it's relation to how the trailer will swing behind the bus. Were I you, I'd put the hitch under the bus as far as the trailer tongue will let you. This will help the trailer stay closer to the track of the bus. If the hitch is too far back you can put the trailer on the curb on the OUTSIDE of a turn. BTDT with my van and dolly...

Skoolie.net :: Home is kinda the ih8mud of bus conversion owners.

Nick

Very nice, I like it!
I want to test my bus to see it will comfortably pull my 62 on my car hauler. I have that idea in my back pocket for GSMTR next month but not sure about getting up all those mountains pulling 4.5 tons of meat!! I would like to make it work cuz the bus sure is cozy for camping.

I can't see how the bus would struggle too badly... after all it's made to pull >6600 lbs of children isn't it?

schoolie.net doesn't seem to have any content... ?

Gappy,

I'm sure your bus will be able to do the deed; it'll just be a slow go. You'll be hanging out in the slow lane most of the time.

I've done similar with both a GMC 7000 stake body and my current GMC 3500 cube van (like zetasig's shortbus only with a 14' box). The GMC 7000 had a top speed of a little over 60 on flat ground (366 gas motor with 5sp trans/2sp rear) and gulped fuel 5 mpg. Sold it after one trip. The cube van will roll the speed limit towing a 40 or 60 on a dolly and slow to 45 uphill in PA. Got a consistant 10-11 mpg outa the 350 TBI motor.

Biggest gripe I have is how people would cut in front of the truck. Seems like folks don't realize how heavy either of the trucks are and how big a dent I'd put in their car with it if I hit them after they stopped short in front of me.

The only other issue you might have is the location of the trailer hitch and it's relation to how the trailer will swing behind the bus. Were I you, I'd put the hitch under the bus as far as the trailer tongue will let you. This will help the trailer stay closer to the track of the bus. If the hitch is too far back you can put the trailer on the curb on the OUTSIDE of a turn. BTDT with my van and dolly...
Nick

Thanks for the inspiration, I just need to wire the 7 prong plug and a brake controller, hook up my loaded trailer and go find the steepest hill I can around here to see what happens.

I can't see how the bus would struggle too badly... after all it's made to pull >6600 lbs of children isn't it?

I've thought the same thing.
I had a reciever fabbed up a long time ago and pulled my little utility trailer, I literally could not feel the trailer and barely even see it until I turned.

That's awesome, I'll take it! That is, if it's diesel... then again, I don't think I'd EVER be able to import a converted school bus to BC...

For what its worth, there are several school buses up for auction here in San Antonio, TX. Average sales price depends on the number of people at the auction, but some where around $1,500 to $2,500. Either gas or diesel. I'll try to get the web site by tomorrow.

awesome, that's exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for!

Very cool ideas! All these buses are getting me thinking...:hmm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom