Saginaw PS box (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.crawlorado.com
ok, i got a Box out of a 72 impala today, i think it is the wrong one because it is about 3.25 turns lock to lock, but everything elce looks the same as the pictures in the tech section.. will this box work, or should i go find a 4 turn one out of an earlyer impala??

Hammerhead, Not shure what you mean?? how would i mesure it?? sorry i am a newbie at this stuff.. is it the size of the input shaft going out to the steering colum?? would i mesure it in Spline count or diamiter??

The "3-turn" boxes are too quick for my preferences. Although they are more rare, if you can find a 4-turn box, I think you will like it better.

Hmm, ok, so just more Responsive??
P.S. Got rice?? dude you gota Quote the ACG Asian Crip Gang.. lol.. and if you dont know what im talkin about do a search for it on Kazza.. you will laughf you a$$ off..

[quote author=isotel link=board=1;threadid=7320;start=msg61806#msg61806 date=1068585803]
Hammerhead, Not shure what you mean?? how would i mesure it?? sorry i am a newbie at this stuff.. is it the size of the input shaft going out to the steering colum?? would i mesure it in Spline count or diamiter??
[/quote]
On the other end of the box there is a convex aluminum cover. That's the same size as the piston. It will be either 3 1/8" or 3 1/2". The larger has 12% more effective pressure at the same line pressure.
Medusa is right about it being a bit fast but I got used to it and have grown to like it. I've also noticed that most of the saginaw conversions have a pitman arm so long that they are not able to achieve the full 4 turns.

Hammerhead (on 78s nickel)

that box i have is 3 1/8 the Convex aluminum part.. and 3 1/2 from the outer edge of the box to the other side... so i assume i have the smaller less efficient box.. but anything has got to be better than the amount of play i have in my current manual setup

[quote author=isotel but anything has got to be better than the amount of play i have in my current manual setup

Unless you get a junk used box. Been there, done that.

Good luck!

I also have the 3 1/4 turn box. It takes awhile to get used to it. I don't know if I would even want to drive it with a smaller than stock steering wheel down the highway. Once you get used to its ok! It is perfect for offroad driving. Goodbye to the days of cranking and cranking and cranking.

I didn't want to go too small but also didn't want to crack my elbow on the door any more. The wheel from a toy mini is just a bit smaller and bolts right on. It's also thicker and easier to grip. Best of all it looks right. Toyota emblem in center is cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom