Sacrificial anode (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi yall. I'm Helton, native of Brazil, cruiserhead, sharing with you guys common thougts and feelings about owing a Landcruiser.
After overcoming the hesitation of app logging and inertia of language (please forgive me any bizarre or unusual expression) I am joining this forum.
I know sacrificial anodes work fine in watercrafts.
Are they of any benefit in a restored rig? If so, where to fit them?
Cheers!

I have heard of these in water craft, but not land based motor vehicles. Maybe because water craft have a constant source of ground with the water, and land based vehicles do not? They are insulated from the ground with their rubber tyres. Just a thought?

For what it is worth, using sacrificial metal (normally zinc) is quite common in many motor vehicles, and I use zinc-based paint when welding pieces together that will no longer be accessible after they are welded together. Zinc is far more active chemically than iron and thus takes on the oxygen atoms long before they can oxidize the steel.

Thanks Jeff
Some time ago I've seen some vehicles (buses mainly) hanging chains or something flexible touching the ground. I wonder why.

Hi yall. I'm Helton, native of Brazil, cruiserhead, sharing with you guys common thougts and feelings about owing a Landcruiser.
After overcoming the hesitation of app logging and inertia of language (please forgive me any bizarre or unusual expression) I am joining this forum.
I know sacrificial anodes work fine in watercrafts.
Are they of any benefit in a restored rig? If so, where to fit them?
Cheers!

Great to see you on here Helton!

Charla

My pleasure Charla!
Any new chapter in South America?
Helton

Am Interested in any updates to this. If I buy a rig with an aqualu tub fj40, where could I install a sacrificial anode? Could I weld it to the tub?

I believe the chains to ground or ground strap are more about static electricity that in certain circumstances can build up on a vehicle.

the sacrificial anode on a boat works as described above, but of course is in contact with both the vessel and the water, so it usually ‘rusts’ before the boat engine or hull.

that said, rusty ground connections on your Toyota can end up having a resistance that can cause issues, a small voltage differenc, and more rust around the ground.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom